tax forms from summer firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
umichman

Bronze

tax forms from summer firm

Postby umichman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Do i need to request my firm to send me these for my tax returns? or will they send them without request? When do big law firms usually send these out?

Toubro

Bronze

Re: tax forms from summer firm

Postby Toubro » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:25 pm

umichman wrote:Do i need to request my firm to send me these for my tax returns? or will they send them without request? When do big law firms usually send these out?

Both years my firm just sent my W2s in the last week of January, without asking. One way to nudge them or to probe for an exact date is by emailing Personnel "updating" them on a new preferred mailing address for the W2, if applicable.

polareagle

Bronze

Postby polareagle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:00 pm

umichman wrote:Do i need to request my firm to send me these for my tax returns? or will they send them without request? When do big law firms usually send these out?

They're required by law to send you a W2 by January 31. If you haven't moved since the address you filled out on your W4, you should get it there.
But, no harm at all in emailing them to ask when/where they're sending it. (Most places also have an online portal for downloading them that you may be able to access as a former employee.)

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:14 pm

polareagle wrote:

They're required by law to send you a W2 by January 31. If you haven't moved since the address you filled out on your W4, you should get it there.
But, no harm at all in emailing them to ask when/where they're sending it. (Most places also have an online portal for downloading them that you may be able to access as a former employee.)

THx!

Return to “Legal Employment�