Accepted DOJ Honors Offer, Then PMF Finalist

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gglas001

New

Accepted DOJ Honors Offer, Then PMF Finalist

Postby gglas001 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:09 am

Like the title says, I accepted a DOJ Honors offer, but then I found out I am a PMF finalist. I know PMF does not defer, but I am unsure of whether DOJ will at this point (after I've accepted an offer). Any advice on how to handle this?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Accepted DOJ Honors Offer, Then PMF Finalist

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 am

DOJ probably won't defer. From the DOJ Honors page:
The Department, like any other employer, relies on the hiring commitments it receives. We hope that candidates who accept an offer of employment will honor that commitment; however, if you find yourself in this situation, we recommend that you immediately notify the hiring component.

As a general rule, Justice will only defer entry on duty for exceptional circumstances, such as military service or unanticipated family or medical issues. All deferrals require prior written approval, in advance, from the Office of Attorney Recruitment and Management and must be requested by the individual through the hiring component. Most Honors Program candidates who accept judicial clerkships remain eligible for the Honors Program the following year and should reapply at that time. For a more detailed explanation of the eligibility requirements for individuals in judicial clerkships, view the Honors Program Eligibility Requirements.

I suspect they'd see PMF as more like getting a clerkship than military service or unanticipated family stuff. But if you really want to know, you'll probably have to call up the component that hired you and ask them.

But my question is what do you want to do with your degree? Getting legal work through PMF is very difficult - it's not designed for attorneys to get hired into legal jobs. So if you intend to practice I would take the DOJ gig. There's also no absolutely guarantee in PMF that you will get a position, or what you will do after the 2 years is up (which is possibly the case with DOJ, too, depending on what component it is).

Of course, you can continue with the PMF process, see what happens, and if you get something you like better, quit the DOJ gig. That would be likely to burn your bridges with DOJ, especially the longer you wait before backing out, but if you don't really like/want the DOJ gig and get something you prefer, it could be worth it, I suppose.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:54 am

Agree with the above. PMF has few legal jobs, and you aren't guaranteed ANY job, people can a will strike out in PMF. Only reason to take PMF over DOJ is if you really want to be in policy and are willing to chance it.

gglas001

New

Postby gglas001 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks for the replies, seriously. I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy turning down PMF.

Everything I have been hearing comes down to (1) don't give up a great job for a shot at a great job; and (2) the DOJ will help get you into a career as a federal att'y, while PMF is kind of a one-off deal. That makes the choice easy, especially when my goal is doing the DOJ thing permanently. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment�