2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Transfer from T1 to T14.

Struck out at OCI. Managed to get a 3.9+ last semester. What's my chance of getting Biglaw and assuming I've missed the ship for 2L SA, what kind of jobs would better position me for 3L OCI? Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:23 pm

I would think 3L OCI may be in play with your grades that high. Normally, not having a 2L biglaw SA will disqualify you from even being considered for 3L OCI. But if you can maintain that 3.9 GPA, you may be able to swing it. IDK what your market is, but I would focus on the big NYC firms with huge summer classes. People in such classes often go on to clerk or switch firms after their 2L SA, so those firms in particular will be looking for 3Ls. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:18 pm

This may sound crazy -- but I did it. If you can find a legit reason to take a leave of absence for a year, you are often allowed to do 2L OCI because you would be doing your summer gig before your 3L year -- which is most important to the firms.

Also, the firm would look at all of your new grades. I didn't have great 1L grades but had awesome 2L grades and I ended up getting a much better firm b/c I pushed off OCI.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may sound crazy -- but I did it. If you can find a legit reason to take a leave of absence for a year, you are often allowed to do 2L OCI because you would be doing your summer gig before your 3L year -- which is most important to the firms.

Also, the firm would look at all of your new grades. I didn't have great 1L grades but had awesome 2L grades and I ended up getting a much better firm b/c I pushed off OCI.


Not doubting this method, and think it probably improves your biglaw changes enormously (assuming you are allowed to). But I dont think a big law job - despite the pay - is worth putting your life on hold for a year. Particularly when you are likely to have the job for 2-3 years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:51 pm

You're in great shape. If I were you I'd massmail NY and any other market you'd be willing to work in. One might take you in 2L summer. Otherwise, I know T4 transfers at my lower T14 (with far worse grades) who struck out 2L summer and went on to work in entry level positions at V20's. But if you took all bs seminar courses I could see firms being cautious. Just keep your grades up and you'll be good.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would think 3L OCI may be in play with your grades that high. Normally, not having a 2L biglaw SA will disqualify you from even being considered for 3L OCI. But if you can maintain that 3.9 GPA, you may be able to swing it. IDK what your market is, but I would focus on the big NYC firms with huge summer classes. People in such classes often go on to clerk or switch firms after their 2L SA, so those firms in particular will be looking for 3Ls. Good luck!


OP here. I am primarily targeting NYC. I am not so sure as to how firms will view my 2L grades because my presumption is that they matter far less than 1L grades do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may sound crazy -- but I did it. If you can find a legit reason to take a leave of absence for a year, you are often allowed to do 2L OCI because you would be doing your summer gig before your 3L year -- which is most important to the firms.

Also, the firm would look at all of your new grades. I didn't have great 1L grades but had awesome 2L grades and I ended up getting a much better firm b/c I pushed off OCI.


OP here. Yeah that sounds like a very effective way but it is not realistic for me. I hope to graduate on time and start working as soon as possible. Thanks though!

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You're in great shape. If I were you I'd massmail NY and any other market you'd be willing to work in. One might take you in 2L summer. Otherwise, I know T4 transfers at my lower T14 (with far worse grades) who struck out 2L summer and went on to work in entry level positions at V20's. But if you took all bs seminar courses I could see firms being cautious. Just keep your grades up and you'll be good.


OP here. I took two doctrinals and got As in both classes. Ironically I did not get all As in seminars that I took. Would you mind telling me what your friend did for his/her 2L summer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would think 3L OCI may be in play with your grades that high. Normally, not having a 2L biglaw SA will disqualify you from even being considered for 3L OCI. But if you can maintain that 3.9 GPA, you may be able to swing it.


What would you say is the minimum GPA to have a chance at 3L OCI if I already have a 2L SA lined up? I attend a T14.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're in great shape. If I were you I'd massmail NY and any other market you'd be willing to work in. One might take you in 2L summer. Otherwise, I know T4 transfers at my lower T14 (with far worse grades) who struck out 2L summer and went on to work in entry level positions at V20's. But if you took all bs seminar courses I could see firms being cautious. Just keep your grades up and you'll be good.


OP here. I took two doctrinals and got As in both classes. Ironically I did not get all As in seminars that I took. Would you mind telling me what your friend did for his/her 2L summer?


Nothing prestigious. He wanted lit, so he did one of district atty/atty gen./judicial externship

I highly recommend you massmail now, and make sure your GPA is in the body of the email. And the reason I'm saying this is because I'm a 2L transfer to T14 just like you, although I did much shittier (I'm a little jealous). Last semester, after it was clear that I was going to strike out at OCI I networked my ass off. I asked a few partners at V100's what I should do 2L summer to increase my chances at big law for 3L oci. I got different answers, but all agreed to focus on grades. One outright said we won't even have this convo if you get above a 3.8 in your first semester. Pretty much saying that if I got a 3.8 I should hit him up. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:18 am

I had a 3.1 at the end of 1L, struck out at OCI and then got a 4.1 my 2L Fall semester. And then a firm that didn't have it's stuff together for OCI hired me right around this time of year, so I did a 2L summer in biglaw and joined FT this fall. It is rare, but can be done, and getting off-the-charts great grades definitely helped. Make sure you are checking Simplicity and that your CDO is pulling for you--I wouldn't have dropped a resume in the middle of finals, but the head of the CDO reached out to me.

Also, depending on where you go, 3L OCI is barely a thing. So don't pin any hopes on that. Mass mail now. Work any and all connections with profs and alumni, etc.

Good job and keep it up for the rest of 2L. Play to your strengths! You got this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're in great shape. If I were you I'd massmail NY and any other market you'd be willing to work in. One might take you in 2L summer. Otherwise, I know T4 transfers at my lower T14 (with far worse grades) who struck out 2L summer and went on to work in entry level positions at V20's. But if you took all bs seminar courses I could see firms being cautious. Just keep your grades up and you'll be good.


OP here. I took two doctrinals and got As in both classes. Ironically I did not get all As in seminars that I took. Would you mind telling me what your friend did for his/her 2L summer?


Nothing prestigious. He wanted lit, so he did one of district atty/atty gen./judicial externship

I highly recommend you massmail now, and make sure your GPA is in the body of the email. And the reason I'm saying this is because I'm a 2L transfer to T14 just like you, although I did much shittier (I'm a little jealous). Last semester, after it was clear that I was going to strike out at OCI I networked my ass off. I asked a few partners at V100's what I should do 2L summer to increase my chances at big law for 3L oci. I got different answers, but all agreed to focus on grades. One outright said we won't even have this convo if you get above a 3.8 in your first semester. Pretty much saying that if I got a 3.8 I should hit him up. Good luck.


Thanks! I will start mass mailing next week and get in touch with some partners that I talked to last semester. I was very lucky to have got an A+ and that helped my GPA a lot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327447
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L Fall grades in - Chances for Biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a 3.1 at the end of 1L, struck out at OCI and then got a 4.1 my 2L Fall semester. And then a firm that didn't have it's stuff together for OCI hired me right around this time of year, so I did a 2L summer in biglaw and joined FT this fall. It is rare, but can be done, and getting off-the-charts great grades definitely helped. Make sure you are checking Simplicity and that your CDO is pulling for you--I wouldn't have dropped a resume in the middle of finals, but the head of the CDO reached out to me.

Also, depending on where you go, 3L OCI is barely a thing. So don't pin any hopes on that. Mass mail now. Work any and all connections with profs and alumni, etc.

Good job and keep it up for the rest of 2L. Play to your strengths! You got this.


Thanks! I'll talk to my career counselor next week. I plan to mass mail but my assumption is that the likelihood of getting a Biglaw SA now is very low. I will probably have to do something else this summer and apply to firms as a 3L. I'll of course try my best to maintain that GPA and hopefully even do better.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.