Very low 1L first sem grade. Chance for 1L summer/OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
givemesomehelp

New

Very low 1L first sem grade. Chance for 1L summer/OCI?

Postby givemesomehelp » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:29 am

Hi all,

1st sem grades came out, seeking for some advice/opinions on how to shoot for 1L summer jobs/OCI.
I'm at a lower T14 (DCNG), and GPA came out to be right on 3.0 (2 B+, 2 B-, B+ on legal writing)

I'm pretty much applying to any openings related to IP at this point. Still have some applications to finish, but I think I'm nearly done for 1L summer.
Not necessarily looking for biglaw, but seems like biglaws are the ones with openings. I have engineering degree (not EE/CS), no WE, and am mostly interested in patent prosecution job after graduation. I didn't quite indicate my preference on prosecution on any of application material, but did say prosecution if asked by firms that prefer to divide up pros/lit work. If helps, my UGPA was 3.9+ (heard pros jobs care about UGPA?)

Any thoughts/advice on my chance for 1L summer and OCI? I'll definitely signup for Loyola Patent Fair.
Will be trying to do better in the spring sem. but won't say that I can definitely bring my grades up. I was quite surprised to see that I got better grades in classes I thought I knew nothing and hit the very bottom in classes I thought I actually knew stuff... not sure if I mis-evaluated my own understanding on materials or if I just didn't know how to write certain style of exam answer. Anyway, I'll be meeting with professors to go over the exam to figure out what the issue was.

I had a callback interview with V50 before my grades came out for IP position (not necessarily litigation only). Will I be automatically out of running because of my grade? Or assuming my interview wasn't horrible, will I still have a chance? (I know it's case by case, but based on your/your friends' experience)

I'm not considering dropping out of school, so please leave it out from your suggestions. I'm on a hefty scholly and my parents are covering up the rest, so won't end up with any debt and I think it's an ok investment to stay on without debt no matter how horribly I'm doing.

kingpin101

Bronze

Re: Very low 1L first sem grade. Chance for 1L summer/OCI?

Postby kingpin101 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:34 am

Just a little about me since my position was similar to yours. Shit grades during 1L at CCN, though not as bad as yours. CS degree. Now headed to work at a biglaw firm that's very respected for patent work.

Do you have an WE? That would help a lot with patent prosecution. Also, what eng degree do you have specifically? Civil engineering is not equal to meche.

Regarding your 1L search, probably shouldn't expect much from law firms, but that's completely fine. You're not in a hopeless situation at all.

givemesomehelp

New

Postby givemesomehelp » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 am

kingpin101 wrote:Just a little about me since my position was similar to yours. Shit grades during 1L at CCN, though not as bad as yours. CS degree. Now headed to work at a biglaw firm that's very respected for patent work.

Do you have an WE? That would help a lot with patent prosecution. Also, what eng degree do you have specifically? Civil engineering is not equal to meche.

Regarding your 1L search, probably shouldn't expect much from law firms, but that's completely fine. You're not in a hopeless situation at all.

Unfortunately, no WE:'( I wish I had one... but I have MS degree if that adds something? Materials for both BSE and MS... I know it's not in much demand in market.

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting law firm job for 1L anyway. I know it's super competitive. I have a callback scheduled for next week, and I think they are interviewing 10-12 people for 1 spot. I was just asking to see if my GPA is too low that it would get me out of the race automatically without looking at other things.

I signed up for winter OCI since it seemed like there will be some tech companies coming... am looking for other in-house jobs as well. But thanks:) at least it's good to know it's not the end of the world...

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:20 am

givemesomehelp wrote:Hi all,

1st sem grades came out, seeking for some advice/opinions on how to shoot for 1L summer jobs/OCI.
I'm at a lower T14 (DCNG), and GPA came out to be right on 3.0 (2 B+, 2 B-, B+ on legal writing)

I'm pretty much applying to any openings related to IP at this point. Still have some applications to finish, but I think I'm nearly done for 1L summer.
Not necessarily looking for biglaw, but seems like biglaws are the ones with openings. I have engineering degree (not EE/CS), no WE, and am mostly interested in patent prosecution job after graduation. I didn't quite indicate my preference on prosecution on any of application material, but did say prosecution if asked by firms that prefer to divide up pros/lit work. If helps, my UGPA was 3.9+ (heard pros jobs care about UGPA?)

Any thoughts/advice on my chance for 1L summer and OCI? I'll definitely signup for Loyola Patent Fair.
Will be trying to do better in the spring sem. but won't say that I can definitely bring my grades up. I was quite surprised to see that I got better grades in classes I thought I knew nothing and hit the very bottom in classes I thought I actually knew stuff... not sure if I mis-evaluated my own understanding on materials or if I just didn't know how to write certain style of exam answer. Anyway, I'll be meeting with professors to go over the exam to figure out what the issue was.

I had a callback interview with V50 before my grades came out for IP position (not necessarily litigation only). Will I be automatically out of running because of my grade? Or assuming my interview wasn't horrible, will I still have a chance? (I know it's case by case, but based on your/your friends' experience)

I'm not considering dropping out of school, so please leave it out from your suggestions. I'm on a hefty scholly and my parents are covering up the rest, so won't end up with any debt and I think it's an ok investment to stay on without debt no matter how horribly I'm doing.

I can guess which T14 school you are at based on info given, and want to say that you might just be okay. Focus on getting above average grades 2nd semester for something remotely resembling median grades. At summer OCI, there will be IP firms coming for interviews that virtually no one in the school will sign up for because your classmates largely do not have a hard science/engineering background. If you can show an upward trend and are good at interviewing, those firms would love to have you for a callback.

JustMe83

New

Postby JustMe83 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:01 pm

givemesomehelp wrote:
kingpin101 wrote:Just a little about me since my position was similar to yours. Shit grades during 1L at CCN, though not as bad as yours. CS degree. Now headed to work at a biglaw firm that's very respected for patent work.

Unfortunately, no WE:'( I wish I had one... but I have MS degree if that adds something? Materials for both BSE and MS... I know it's not in much demand in market.

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting law firm job for 1L anyway. I know it's super competitive. I have a callback scheduled for next week, and I think they are interviewing 10-12 people for 1 spot. I was just asking to see if my GPA is too low that it would get me out of the race automatically without looking at other things.

I signed up for winter OCI since it seemed like there will be some tech companies coming... am looking for other in-house jobs as well. But thanks:) at least it's good to know it's not the end of the world...

Keep in mind that what you do 1L summer will have little to no bearing on your career. You're getting too worked up about 1L summer - yeah, you're probably out of the running for SA positions, but literally everyone gets a job 1L summer and for the most part they're all interchangeable and have no effect on what firm you'll end up at. I'm not sure about what kind of patent prosecution opportunities exist outside of firms, but all you really need to focus on in 1L summer is getting some good legal experience that you can talk about knowledgeably during OCI interviews and somehow string into your personal narrative. Case in point - I know plenty of people who 1L'd at hippie-dippie NGO's and are going on to work at V5's. I think working in patent pros 1L summer would be a (very) small plus for you in OCI, but what you need to focus on now is bringing up your grades and getting a summer position you can live with in the area you want to be this summer.

Return to “Legal Employment�