Will I get penalized if my relationship ends?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will I get penalized if my relationship ends?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:51 pm

1st year at a biglaw firm. Between the end of my summer associateship and the date I joined the firm full-time, a new partner joined the firm. By coincidence, this partner is friends with my girlfriend's family and has known my girlfriend ever since my girlfriend was a child. When he sees me in the office he always asks how my girlfriend is doing. Moreover, I've started getting put on his projects. The office is small, containing I think only about 20 partners in total.

My relationship is not going well. One of us will likely end it soon. Most likely, I will be the one to end it.

How badly will it hurt my reputation with this partner--and by extension--the other partners, if this happens?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Will I get penalized if my relationship ends?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:12 pm

No one will be able to answer this, and I don't think there's even a question here. If the relationship is bad you should end it. If it causes adverse effects at work you should look to lateral. My guess is that more likely than not it won't be a big deal, but it's impossible to know without knowing the partner, how sane he is, how much power he has, how vindictive he is etc etc. Good luck! Definitely do not waste more time in a failed relationship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:47 am

I dont think the partner will really care... I mean, would you care? Imagine you worked with someone who was dating someone you knew well. If their relationship ended, would you treat your fellow employee differently?

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I dont think the partner will really care... I mean, would you care? Imagine you worked with someone who was dating someone you knew well. If their relationship ended, would you treat your fellow employee differently?

I think op kind of meant to say that the partner sees his gf as his/her daughter..

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:20 am

Just tell her bitches be crazy.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:04 am

I think (assuming the families are super close) that the partner would treat you worse if the gf remained in the relationship and was completely miserable and painted you as an asshole.

Break up = you are jerk for short period and all move on.
Stay together = you are a jerk for a longer period of time, and and then eventually get married like any good red blooded American.

Return to “Legal Employment�