Mentioning Diversity in 1L Cover Letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mentioning Diversity in 1L Cover Letter

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how to mention my diversity in my cover letter. I have 1L OCI coming up and I am also mass mailing a number of firms. What is the best way to mention my diversity if I am part of an ethnic group that is vastly underrepresented in the legal community, or in the region where I am applying to. I'm not sure if I should be as direct as I just put. Like would firms care about that? Also if you have a good sample cover letter that focuses on diversity I would appreciate it.

More info on me: Currently attending a T-20 school and finished above the median last semester.

Thanks.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Re: Mentioning Diversity in 1L Cover Letter

Postby lawlorbust » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how to mention my diversity in my cover letter. I have 1L OCI coming up and I am also mass mailing a number of firms. What is the best way to mention my diversity if I am part of an ethnic group that is vastly underrepresented in the legal community, or in the region where I am applying to. I'm not sure if I should be as direct as I just put. Like would firms care about that? Also if you have a good sample cover letter that focuses on diversity I would appreciate it.

More info on me: Currently attending a T-20 school and finished above the median last semester.

Thanks.

"As an active member of [X Students Association], I have gained ..."

"In addition, my previous experiences have taught me the value of diversity in a professional environment. As a person growing up in [community], I ..."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks. It's just hard to word that in a way that shows how it will benefit the firm. Does anyone have a sample cover letter which mentions diversity?

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:10 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks.

"As an active member of [X Students Association], I have gained ..."

"In addition, my previous experiences have taught me the value of diversity in a professional environment. As a person growing up in [community], I ..."

This is about right. I wouldn't worry much about expressly addressing the value of diversity to the firm. If the firm values it (or wishes to appear to value it), it's not really a connection you'll have to draw once you flag that you're a member of an underrepresented group. (Also, as a 1L, you're probably not going to be a net benefit to the firm for a very long time, which is OK.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:05 am

But what if I want to mention it for a diversity application?

Return to “Legal Employment�