How to network with startups in the Bay Area? ANY anecdotes!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to network with startups in the Bay Area? ANY anecdotes!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:47 pm

I want to do a new biz dev for startups. I am in the Bay Area.

How can I network with startups, desirably startups with great potentials (eg. backed by good VCs, founders have a track record of success, etc)? Or just generally how to get a job at startups?

There are several startup weekends type of events but they are designed to provide practical guidance to the development of startups. There are after parties tho.

Any anecdotes would be highly appreciated!

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Re: How to network with startups in the Bay Area? ANY anecdotes!

Postby iliketurtles123 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to do a new biz dev for startups. I am in the Bay Area.

How can I network with startups, desirably startups with great potentials (eg. backed by good VCs, founders have a track record of success, etc)? Or just generally how to get a job at startups?

There are several startup weekends type of events but they are designed to provide practical guidance to the development of startups. There are after parties tho.

Any anecdotes would be highly appreciated!

Startup events, even if only informational, is good for networking. The after/before parties are great opportunities.

There are apps that are similar to Tinder that help you network. Not sure how useful they are. Seems new

Use linkedin and cold email. Not sure what your end game is (not sure what you mean by "do a new business development". Do you mean you want to be part of the biz dev team?) but cold emailing works well for some purposes.

Go out and approach people. If you have work to do, go to a coffee shop. Oftentimes startup founders or employees will work in coffee shops. Approach them when they have some downtime and ask what they're doing.

hit up any existing contacts in the area. It's easier when you have a foundation

Return to “Legal Employment�