Tax LLM student. Am I SOL? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tax LLM student. Am I SOL?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm a tax llm at Georgetown/NYU. We are starting to receive grades and one of my grades is extremely bad. I studied but I guess I just didn't get this area of tax. I am wondering how SOL I am right now. I know the career services office says everyone who is open to geography/type of tax will find a job, but would it just be better to cut my losses and look for something else? I know I only have a semester left, but I can't imagine racking up another 40-50k of loans for no job prospects.

Other information:

I went to a top 20 law school and graduated near top 1/3. I'm a K-LLM. I am open to any market (just don't want to be in a rural area). Would prefer DC or something in the south, but open to anywhere.

Does anyone know anyone who has been in this position? I have a lot of debt and if I'm going to end up in a low-paying job after graduation, I'd rather just leave now to save myself some money.

Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Tax LLM student. Am I SOL?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:18 pm

How bad is bad? I thought tax LLMs have generous curves. If you mean a B, that doesn't seem that bad.

I guess it depends on how your class is faring at TIP, etc. Have you any idea how your class is faring?

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:22 am

From Georgetown, heard from a few Tax LLM students that Biglaw is hard even with amazing grades in the program because most of the spots go to the NYU LLM students. So Big4 is usually feasible but you still need to be top of the class. I would wait until the rest of your grades come in. If the rest are A's and A-'s, then maybe you can explain it away during interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:44 pm

OP here.

I have gotten most of my grades and an unlikely A or A- will probably not salvage my GPA at this point. If my "bad" grade had been a B, I could probably have done okay this semester. But, the bad grade was probably the lowest or second lowest in the class.

From what I've heard, I should just not even try TIP since that goes to the top students at NYU/Georgetown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”