2L SA Timeline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L SA Timeline

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I managed to get a SA this year. It is out of state and in a major city. In my offer letter they said the offer is pending a background check, conflict of interest survey, transcript (official), and credential review. All of this will be sent closer to the start date. I have nothing (that I know of) criminal for my background and no conflicts. Transcript hasn't changed, even with 2L fall semester grades.

Should I email the recruiter and ask when they will send these documents to me/ send my transcript?
When should I start looking for apartments?
Are there extraordinary cases where people had offers redacted before they start their SA?
Are credential reviews just references from where I worked?

Re: 2L SA Timeline

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:22 pm

No need to worry. I'm sure there are instances where SA's have been revoked for failing background check, etc. That said, if you don't think you have anything to worry about (and you'd know if you did), you will be fine. The credential review is probably just an employment verification and credit check. So long as you didn't lie re: your employment history, you'll be fine. Firm may also send some sort of questionnaire re: practice group, emergency contacts, etc. I don't think you need to send them an email asking, but I don't think you'll be harmed if you do so.

Looking for apartments varies by cities - some you need to do earlier than others. I'd start keeping an eye out over the next few months for places you'd want to live.

Re: 2L SA Timeline

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 pm

Just do what they say when they say to do it. Recruiting will be on top of stuff.

Finding an apartment depends. Do some online research on that market and talk to people at your school who summered there to get some ideas.

Redacted means something different than what you think it means.

I don't know what they mean by credential review but that's for them to figure out, not for you to be worried about. Just give them whatever they request from you.

Return to “Legal Employment”