Grades or Bar Class?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grades or Bar Class?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 pm

3L heading into my last semester.

Background: I go to a lower T1 school in a major city, on law review, etc. Have a biglaw job lined up. Here is my dilemma..

I am a terrible standardized test taker - shit the bed on LSAT (3x) despite consistently good practice scores (hence the school im at). I get VERY nervous for whatever reason whenever I take a standardized test. Despite that, I'm a pretty good law school test taker.

My dilemma: I'm just on the edge of Magna cum laude honors going into my final semester. Should i take classes that I know I'll ace or take Trusts/Estates and Secured Transactions to help me begin bar prep early? Both of these classes (and the prof's teaching them this semester) are significantly more difficult than the other courses I could take.

The reason I'd gun for latin honors is that I'd potentially like to clerk in 2019 or 2020 (which may be a stretch given my school - but a fair number of folks from past few years have done so with similar grades).

Any thoughts are appreciated. I also understand that this sounds ridiculous, but maxing out my grades is likely my only shot at a clerkship, so I want to do what I can to keep that chance alive.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Grades or Bar Class?

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L heading into my last semester.

Background: I go to a lower T1 school in a major city, on law review, etc. Have a biglaw job lined up. Here is my dilemma..

I am a terrible standardized test taker - shit the bed on LSAT (3x) despite consistently good practice scores (hence the school im at). I get VERY nervous for whatever reason whenever I take a standardized test. Despite that, I'm a pretty good law school test taker.

My dilemma: I'm just on the edge of Magna cum laude honors going into my final semester. Should i take classes that I know I'll ace or take Trusts/Estates and Secured Transactions to help me begin bar prep early? Both of these classes (and the prof's teaching them this semester) are significantly more difficult than the other courses I could take.

The reason I'd gun for latin honors is that I'd potentially like to clerk in 2019 or 2020 (which may be a stretch given my school - but a fair number of folks from past few years have done so with similar grades).

Any thoughts are appreciated. I also understand that this sounds ridiculous, but maxing out my grades is likely my only shot at a clerkship, so I want to do what I can to keep that chance alive.

Just take what you want. Bar prep will teach you what you need to know

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 pm

The bar exam is closer to a law-school exam than it is to a SAT/LSAT-type standardized test.

I'd gun for latin honors.

alphagamma

Bronze

Postby alphagamma » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm

rpupkin wrote:The bar exam is closer to a law-school exam than it is to a SAT/LSAT-type standardized test.

I'd gun for latin honors.

Agreed.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 pm

I think the "bar class" idea is kind of a flame. The bar requires a very minimal understanding of each subject. I would definitely choose to improve your GPA.

North

Gold

Postby North » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 pm

As someone who took almost no fluff classes (despite First Offense repeatedly telling me how stupid it was), 100% take fluff classes for grades. You're not learning anything anyway.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Agreed that bar classes are a flame. I think I took just one outside of 1L required classes (so I essentially went in blind for crim pro/evidence, etc) and even if I had taken them I would've forgotten. Bar prep classes will teach you everything you need to know. I was more concerned with scheduling in 2L and took tough classes so my gpa suffered. In 3L I took ezpz classes and it was so much better. Boost that gpa.
Last edited by LaLiLuLeLo on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:01 am

Easy classes it is. Thanks for the responses.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:01 am

Signing on to "bar classes are a flame." Even if some aren't (some people find taking Evidence helpful to start learning the terminology), definitely don't forego your GPA goals to take Trusts/Estates and Secured Transactions with difficult profs.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:16 am

Cosigning everyone else. And FWIW, everyone (as in, even profs) told me that trusts and estates was pretty easy to learn for the bar, and I thought that was absolutely true. Secured Transactions, eh, my essay was pretty bad and I can't even recognize anything in the wikipedia discussion as anything I learned, but the bar really does test minimal competence and you'll be fine. The part that's more like LSAT/SAT is the MBE, and you've taken those courses already.

gregfootball2001

Bronze

Postby gregfootball2001 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Cosigning with one exception. If you haven't taken Evidence, I think it's helpful. Depending on your state, it can be on both parts, so you could get hit with it twice. I think that some of the nuances are easier to learn over the course of a semester than during bar prep. As to T&E/Secured Transactions, though, meh. You'll learn the very basics during prep.

North

Gold

Postby North » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Yeah I agree, evidence was actually pretty helpful for the bar because I got it in both the MBE and my state essays.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:52 pm

OP Here. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to take the easier classes and gun for honors. Also re evidence - I already took that, and am glad I did.

thanks, all.

Return to “Legal Employment�