1L: ADR/International Law Opportunities Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bananaphone

New

1L: ADR/International Law Opportunities

Post by bananaphone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Hello,

I'm wondering what opportunities there are for 1L summer positions in the DC area that involve the areas of ADR (highest preference), international law (trade disputes, commercial, not human rights or immigration) or both. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L: ADR/International Law Opportunities

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Depends on if you're looking for private or public sector. For international trade (trade remedies in particular), you could consider ITA, ITC, or USTR. For private sector, you could look into boutique firms with those specialties in mind.

bananaphone

New

Post by bananaphone » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks. Any ADR opportunities in DC that I should be looking at?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:03 pm

bananaphone wrote:Thanks. Any ADR opportunities in DC that I should be looking at?
Do you mind explaining what you would like to do in ADR?

bananaphone

New

Post by bananaphone » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm particularly interested in mediation but am open to anything that allows a student intern to sit in on ADR sessions or help prepare for them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:32 pm

bananaphone wrote:I'm particularly interested in mediation but am open to anything that allows a student intern to sit in on ADR sessions or help prepare for them.
Honestly, there is very little for new lawyers in the field of ADR. Every mediator and arbiter I have every worked with has either been a retired judge or has been practicing law for 20+ years. Mediation is a lot of fun but you're a lot more likely to get exposure to it working with a law firm or even through clinical programs at your school.

If you are really hung up on it, I would reach out to JAMS and ask if they are interested in an intern. JAMS is the go-to ADR company and they have offices all across the country.

I wish I could give you better news but, frankly, most every lawyer would love to be in ADR.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:54 pm

MrT wrote:
bananaphone wrote:I'm particularly interested in mediation but am open to anything that allows a student intern to sit in on ADR sessions or help prepare for them.
Honestly, there is very little for new lawyers in the field of ADR. Every mediator and arbiter I have every worked with has either been a retired judge or has been practicing law for 20+ years. Mediation is a lot of fun but you're a lot more likely to get exposure to it working with a law firm or even through clinical programs at your school.

If you are really hung up on it, I would reach out to JAMS and ask if they are interested in an intern. JAMS is the go-to ADR company and they have offices all across the country.

I wish I could give you better news but, frankly, most every lawyer would love to be in ADR.
20 is probably on the low end for non-retired judges who are mediators. Its an industry that values (read, requires) a ton of experience.

bananaphone

New

Post by bananaphone » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm

I understand, however what I am asking is for opportunities to get experience as a 1L rather than take a position like everyone else. I do appreciate all the suggestions though.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:32 pm

bananaphone wrote:I understand, however what I am asking is for opportunities to get experience as a 1L rather than take a position like everyone else. I do appreciate all the suggestions though.
I did provide a suggestion of JAMS.

But honestly,we are just trying to manage your expectations. Breaking into the field with incredible experience is tough. It's unlikely that a summer internship following your first year of law school will provide you a leg up on others trying to enter the field. The best thing you can do now is find a litigation firm or organization. Many federal courts require disputes go through ADR before coming to court. If you can get in and actually participate, that will be more valuable than just observing. No mediator is going to let an intern run or even be seen during a mediation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bananaphone

New

Post by bananaphone » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:41 pm

I appreciate your help.

The frustrating part is that (at least in DC) it is incredibly hard to find information on small litigation firms that hire 1Ls. Most 1L work is human rights, regulatory, or research. I've already applied to the big agencies that do litigation but am stumped at this point of where to look for other, more unique opportunities. Especially those that benefit from a foreign-language speaker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:00 am

I had the same mentality as you did about looking for a 1L position that would benefit from my foreign language. It doesn't work. If you do in fact come across such opportunity that is not human rights/immigration related, you have to be very careful of not pigeonholing yourself as the legal translator. Try to diversify your portfolio and build up your legal skills in areas of law instead. To be honest, your 1L experience doesn't matter that much and most employers who'd eventually employ you after law school understand you didn't have much to offer as a 1L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 am

bananaphone wrote:I understand, however what I am asking is for opportunities to get experience as a 1L rather than take a position like everyone else. I do appreciate all the suggestions though.
JAMS probably wouldn't have anything but I'd suggest looking at smaller operations in the area, 1 or 2 person shops where you would likely be a welcome (unpaid) addition.

bananaphone

New

Post by bananaphone » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 pm

How would you go about finding 1-2 person adr shops? Where would I even start looking? Any examples?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”