Ugh...got a C+ in a 2l class

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ugh...got a C+ in a 2l class

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Got a discretionary C+ in a 2 credit seminar class. Long story short the class met one day a week and the professor did not take kindly to me basically missing the first month and a half flying around the country doing job interviews. I have a SA at a biglaw firm in NYC (not 100% offer) and just worried what this grade will do for my future.

Anonymous User

Re: Ugh...got a C+ in a 2l class

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:15 pm

Same thing happened to me last year (C+ in a writing seminar), and I still got an offer. But, I summered at a Biglaw firm that's not especially grade-sensitive, and I had generally good grades both before and after that semester.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:17 pm

May depend on the firm, but for the most part firms don't give a shit about your grades past OCI. They care way more about your performance during your SA and general fit. Maybe if you got more grades like this or actually failed, then it'd be a different story.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Was it purely because of you missing class for job interviews? If so, I would talk to the professor and then administration because that is BS. My school was very open about telling professors to not penalize students for missing class for interviews. If missing class caused you to be late on an assignment or screw up a paper/final that would be different.

Also, what is not 100%? If they give 90%+ I am sure this won't matter. You're probably fine, just make sure you do well next semester and do really well during your summer.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Vault ranking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Missing so much class = didn't do well on the final, all my other grades this semester were B+ and A-

Firm is a V100

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Missing so much class = didn't do well on the final, all my other grades this semester were B+ and A-

Firm is a V100

Oh ok, still might be worth talking to professor and seeing if it is possible to change to a B-. If the rest of your grades are decent next semester it won't matter.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:32 pm

C+ would raise eyebrows at a few places. Probably not your firm, unless they are looking for a reason to no offer to hide bad economic performance. Talk to the prof. Try not to repeat the performance in the spring. Odds are you're fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:23 am

It's atypical for firms to even ask for transcripts again until after graduation, by which point you would have a full-time offer (or not).

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's atypical for firms to even ask for transcripts again until after graduation, by which point you would have a full-time offer (or not).

My firm asked for a transcript during my SA (email that went out to all SAs, so not tailored to me specifically). I think a lot of firms do this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's atypical for firms to even ask for transcripts again until after graduation, by which point you would have a full-time offer (or not).

My firm asked for a transcript during my SA (email that went out to all SAs, so not tailored to me specifically). I think a lot of firms do this.

Counter point: my firm didn't ask for a 2L transcript. But at the same time, I know someone at a v10 in your situation that was actually talked to about her specific grades and bringing them up for 3L.

Return to “Legal Employment�