Should a graduate still state a GPA on the resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should a graduate still state a GPA on the resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:22 pm

I graduated with cum laude.. Should I still state my GPA on my resume? If not, does it indicate that my GPA sucks?

My and other law school provide resume samples and none of them have a GPA on it...

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Re: Should a graduate still state a GPA on the resume?

Postby Mr. Archer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:09 pm

As long as you mention you graduated cum laude, then it won't indicate you had a bad GPA. I've seen samples like that, but you can also just put the GPA and cum laude designation on there. No reason not to have both.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:20 pm

I don't have my GPA on my resume, just my honors. I assume most employers know that having honors means your GPA doesn't suck. But obviously you can put both

haus

Gold

Postby haus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:48 pm

I think that this depends how far you are away from school.

If your resume is basically various colleges you have been to and a internships/summer associate type gigs then GPA would look fine. If you have been working for 10-20 years then your GPA likely does not matter much, and may look odd still being on your resume.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:07 pm

haus wrote:I think that this depends how far you are away from school.

If your resume is basically various colleges you have been to and a internships/summer associate type gigs then GPA would look fine. If you have been working for 10-20 years then your GPA likely does not matter much, and may look odd still being on your resume.

Most of the resume advice places I've read say after 3-5 years out of school and with substantive experience on your resume, then GPA comes off (leaving honors on) and the "education" section goes to the bottom of the resume.

hiima3L

Silver

Postby hiima3L » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:49 am

kalvano wrote:

Most of the resume advice places I've read say after 3-5 years out of school and with substantive experience on your resume, then GPA comes off (leaving honors on) and the "education" section goes to the bottom of the resume.

I recently updated my resume for the first time since graduating 5 years ago and this is exactly what the recruiting firm dude I am working with suggested.

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:29 am

hiima3L wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I recently updated my resume for the first time since graduating 5 years ago and this is exactly what the recruiting firm dude I am working with suggested.

yep, I recently made this change to my resume

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:28 pm

kalvano wrote:

I think this is the credited response. Including or omitting the GPA probably won't affect your chances much, but it's a great idea to reclaim the valuable space in the upper and middle third of your resume for more recent, relevant experience.

UMich11

Bronze

Postby UMich11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated with cum laude.. Should I still state my GPA on my resume? If not, does it indicate that my GPA sucks?

My and other law school provide resume samples and none of them have a GPA on it...

haven't put GPA on since college since I took 3 years working IB before law school. Never presented an issue during OCI and even in the few interviews I've had since starting big-law it doesn't seem like leaving it off has hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am

kalvano wrote:

C/o 2013, currently clerking and looking for (mostly gov't) jobs. Was around median at lower t14. Take it off or leave it on?

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:

C/o 2013, currently clerking and looking for (mostly gov't) jobs. Was around median at lower t14. Take it off or leave it on?

I have no idea. I'm inclined to say leave it on simply because government may have hard GPA cutoffs, and because you won't have a much substantive work to fill up space (not that clerking isn't substantive, but I can fill up a lot more resume space with stuff that would be instantly valuable to a firm).

Return to “Legal Employment�