First Semester Grades are in and I have below a 3.0

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

First Semester Grades are in and I have below a 3.0

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:22 am

First semester grades came back and I have a little less than a 3.0 at a T-14. Very surprised considering how well I thought I knew the material and the amount of effort I put in. But, based on other TLS posts, these things happen. Anyways, what would be the best route for me to take this summer? I am bilingual ( French) and a URM.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: First Semester Grades are in and I have below a 3.0

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:First semester grades came back and I have a little less than a 3.0 at a T-14. Very surprised considering how well I thought I knew the material and the amount of effort I put in. But, based on other TLS posts, these things happen. Anyways, what would be the best route for me to take this summer? I am bilingual ( French) and a URM.

Before this summer, best route is to learn how to take a law school exam. I somebody who got straight Ps first quarter, worked on her law-school-taking skills, and never got a P again.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:38 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First semester grades came back and I have a little less than a 3.0 at a T-14. Very surprised considering how well I thought I knew the material and the amount of effort I put in. But, based on other TLS posts, these things happen. Anyways, what would be the best route for me to take this summer? I am bilingual ( French) and a URM.

Before this summer, best route is to learn how to take a law school exam. I somebody who got straight Ps first quarter, worked on her law-school-taking skills, and never got a P again.

+1. Improving your performance spring semester should be--must be--your singular focus. Nothing else could be remotely as important at this stage.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 pm

What type of URM? Black? your probably fine. Big hiring boost for blacks so below 3 isn't that bad.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jd20132013

Silver

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:04 pm

:roll:

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:17 pm

I had a 3.02 after my 1st semester (3.25 curve) and graduated with a 3.6. I'd be happy to share specifics, but know it is possible to turn your grades around.

As far as specific employment advice goes, we will need to know a lot more about where you want to work, where your school is, and what kind of work you want to do.

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Postby Catsinthebag » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What type of URM? Black? your probably fine. Big hiring boost for blacks so below 3 isn't that bad.

Such intellect on the Interwebz.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:45 pm

lol @ ppl butthurt @ DF

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Catsinthebag wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What type of URM? Black? your probably fine. Big hiring boost for blacks so below 3 isn't that bad.

Such intellect on the Interwebz.

Half the black kids in your class are bottom 10% (on average) and most get legit jobs. It's real dumb not to consider affirmative action in this situation.

I don't think firms make a big deal about Mexican and Indian affirmative action so you might get screwed. Ask other urms.

If you don't get an affirmative action boost just drop out now
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DF Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:01 pm

DF Thread

Return to “Legal Employment�