How to state an A for pass/fail classes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to state an A for pass/fail classes?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Desperate attempt to make my transcript marginally better, if any ...

I took some classes outside of law school (graduate level) but very relevant to my future practice area. I got As for those classes although I only needed to get Bs to pass and I'd like to state that I got an A. The transcript only shows pass/fail. Again, a desperate attempt but I am sure partners would be interested.

What should I state on my unofficial transcript, like next to the title of the class? Like "A prior to being transferred to law school"?

jkpolk

Silver

Re: How to state an A for pass/fail classes?

Postby jkpolk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Desperate attempt to make my transcript marginally better, if any ...

I took some classes outside of law school (graduate level) but very relevant to my future practice area. I got As for those classes although I only needed to get Bs to pass and I'd like to state that I got an A. The transcript only shows pass/fail. Again, a desperate attempt but I am sure partners would be interested in those classes.

What should I state on my unofficial transcript, like next to the title of the class? Like "A prior to being transferred to law school"?

I think the grade is unimportant. The fact you took the class might matter to some people. I think the best play is to throw the classes on your resume as a single bullet under law school. If an interviewer/recruiter/whatever cares, they'll bring it up in the interview and you can chat about the experience (showing, by proxy, your interest in the subject).

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:39 pm

No one is going to care.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 pm

I think including a statement like that would be kind of weird and would not be viewed as favorably as you hope.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:but I am sure partners would be interested.

lol no

Return to “Legal Employment�