Mid-sized corporate law firm vs Top tier business consulting?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Mid-sized corporate law firm vs Top tier business consulting?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 pm

I want to practice corporate law and then transition into a COO or new biz development role (NOT a GC role) for a tech startup.

For this career, which job would be better upon graduation? I didn't get a biglaw job and all I got is a corporate law asso at a mid sized law firm (from bankruptcy to corporate transactional to commercial lit) and possibly top-tier business consulting firm (I worked in business strategy prior to law school so I guess I will have a great chance to secure a job here).

Salary: mid sized law firm: less than $80K vs. top tier consulting firm: should be a six figure.

I don't have any debts or anyone else to financially support.

Any ideas?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mid-sized corporate law firm vs Top tier business consulting?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:10 pm

Definitely top tier business consulting. I "scored" a respected corporate vault gig. I also struck out for the MBB this past recruiting cycle. Believe me when I say I would have taken any of the MBB over my current situation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mid-sized corporate law firm vs Top tier business consulting?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Definitely top tier business consulting. I "scored" a respected corporate vault gig. I also struck out for the MBB this past recruiting cycle. Believe me when I say I would have taken any of the MBB over my current situation.


Then, I will lose my competitive (?) advantage as a lawyer when I work in business again... I thought it would be better to work in law at least for a year since there are tons of people who worked in consulting but a few lawyers in that capacity except for inhouse counsel. I can always go into a consulting firm afterwards (and work for a couple of years), especially because I already have WE?

I want to practice and learn corporate law at least for a year but I am afraid that my lower starting salary will prevent me from getting a six figure immediately afterwards..

favabeansoup

Bronze
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Mid-sized corporate law firm vs Top tier business consulting?

Postby favabeansoup » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can always go into a consulting firm afterwards (and work for a couple of years), especially because I already have WE?


People can't always transfer back to entirely non-legal positions after beginning to practice, even with prior WE. Don't count on that as a sure thing unless you have solid contacts who would always hire you back. Likewise, companies don't often hire a corporate lawyer for non-legal roles.

Working corporate law honestly will not prepare you much at all for a business development or COO type position anyway, particularly in the first few years of practice. You will learn structures of things fairly well and what the important sticking points of deals are sure, but the doc review style work you'll be doing non-stop (for far below top market pay) won't prepare you much for anything else besides more corporate law work.

Take the consulting gig if you have it. It seems to be a better fit for how you see your career trajectory.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313984
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Mid-sized corporate law firm vs Top tier business consulting?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I want to practice corporate law and then transition into a COO or new biz development role (NOT a GC role) for a tech startup.

For this career, which job would be better upon graduation? I didn't get a biglaw job and all I got is a corporate law asso at a mid sized law firm (from bankruptcy to corporate transactional to commercial lit) and possibly top-tier business consulting firm (I worked in business strategy prior to law school so I guess I will have a great chance to secure a job here).

Salary: mid sized law firm: less than $80K vs. top tier consulting firm: should be a six figure.

I don't have any debts or anyone else to financially support.

Any ideas?


You seem to have very little idea about how "top consulting" recruiting works. They care less about work experience then prestige. And if you struck out of biglaw recruiting then your resume is probably pretty unprestigious...



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.