Chicago midlevel transactional lateral -- AMA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago midlevel transactional lateral -- AMA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:46 pm

2013 grad. Started in a secondary market located in same city as my TT. Graduated top-10%. Been in Biglaw throughout (v100 to v50). No real ties to Chicago.

Still getting acclimated to the new firm but happy to answer Qs.

Anonymous User

Re: Chicago midlevel transactional lateral -- AMA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:31 pm

How much have you billed per year? What sort of work do you do?

Any tips for first years on how to survive and/or improve?

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2013 grad. Started in a secondary market located in same city as my TT. Graduated top-10%. Been in Biglaw throughout (v100 to v50). No real ties to Chicago.

Are you planning on going in house in the next 1-2 years or will you stay at firm as long as possible?

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much have you billed per year? What sort of work do you do?

Year 1: 2000
Year 2: 2350
Year 3: 2150
Year 4: 7

Primarily healthcare M&A, so there is the vast regulatory/compliance morass that more traditional corporate transactional associates don't deal with.

Anonymous User wrote: Any tips for first years on how to survive and/or improve?

During your first year, don't be afraid to make mistakes. You're not going to make partner your first year but you can certainly make it difficult on yourself by being so neurotic no one wants to teach you. Give your projects a good faith effort but don't be afraid to ask questions (try to keep interruptions minimal by aggregating your questions), reference previously submitted documents for that client, use checklists, write yourself notes, and be a good human. It will slowly start to click.

And get out of your office. Everyone can work hard; not everyone is first in mind to train in the intangibles.

favabeansoup wrote:Are you planning on going in house in the next 1-2 years or will you stay at firm as long as possible?

I see partnership as a realistic goal but I made the move to increase my in house odds as well. Long hours are certainly real, but you also numb to them quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:35 pm

That's funny I'm doing a friendly doc transaction right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2013 grad. Started in a secondary market located in the same city as my TT. Graduated top-10%. Been in Biglaw throughout (v100 to v50). No real ties to Chicago.

OP returns one year later and coming up for air. Lateraling is difficult. Expect six months of inconsistent work. You certainly have to take much more ownership of keeping yourself busy than you may have as a homegrown associate. AMA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 am

How many of your classmates are still in big law?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:How many of your classmates are still in big law?

I haven't done a census but probably 15% of my graduating class. I haven't heard of any who began in Biglaw that have left.

Return to “Legal Employment�