1L Judicial Internship Interview: Thank you note

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Judicial Internship Interview: Thank you note

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm

I have a few questions about the thank you note. I've seen a lot of threads where people were given offers on the spot, however I was not. I appreciate any advice!

1. I interviewed with both the judge and his clerks, to whom do I address the thank you letter? Do I need to address the letter to the Judge and all of his clerks? Do I need to address a separate letter to each of the clerks in addition to the letter to the judge? Just an additional letter to his senior clerk? Should I send a thank you letter to the judge's paralegal through whom I scheduled the interview?

2. Should the letter be sent through the mail? What kind of stationary? Would resume paper be ok (since I have some already and it is nice thick paper)?

3. If through the mail, should it be typed or hand-written? I was planning on typing it and then signing it by hand; is that acceptable?

Thank you in advance for your responses! I would be happy to clarify any questions if you need more info. I should also note that I have not received grades yet but was asked to send them once I receive them.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Judicial Internship Interview: Thank you note

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Questions like these are exactly why so many TLSers are against thank you notes. FWIW, in my judge's chambers a thank you note wouldn't have moved the needle at all. If you're insistent on writing one:

1. I'd just send a single note addressed to the judge. You can mention in the note that it was nice to meet/speak with everyone in chambers (or something), but don't make a lot of extra work for yourself. Other people in chambers are used to the judge being the center of attention even though they do a lot of the work.

2 and 3. Send the letter through normal mail if you're going to write one. If you use resume paper, you should probably type it. Otherwise, I'd handwrite it on a blank stationery card (design on the front, nothing printed inside). I'd probably always handwrite if I was going to bother at all - if you're looking to create some sort of personal connection in the judge, a typed letter accomplishes that a little less effectively than a handwritten note and is less consistent with the tone of the note's contents.

As always, YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Questions like these are exactly why so many TLSers are against thank you notes.

Ahh I didn't realize this was the general consensus for judicial internship interviews. I appreciate the advice, thanks.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Questions like these are exactly why so many TLSers are against thank you notes.

Ahh I didn't realize this was the general consensus for judicial internship interviews. I appreciate the advice, thanks.

I think this is the general consensus in general for any type of interview.

Return to “Legal Employment�