NYC roommate search for Fall 2017 new hires!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ellewoods123

Bronze

NYC roommate search for Fall 2017 new hires!

Postby ellewoods123 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 am

Hey all! I'll be moving to NYC in August 2017 to start work in September. I know it's early, but thought I'd go out on a limb/leave this here to see if there are other TLSers in a similar situation who are looking for a roommate! PM if interested :)

Yukos

Gold

Re: NYC roommate search for Fall 2017 new hires!

Postby Yukos » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:43 am

Finding your roommate on TLS seems like a recipe for disaster.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Yukos wrote:Finding your roommate on TLS seems like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah like wtf don't people usually try living with friends (i.e., people they know irl) first?

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm

1styearlateral wrote:

Yeah like wtf don't people usually try living with friends (i.e., people they know irl) first?

What about if they don't know anyone in NY?

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Nebby wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:

Um maybe associates at the firm? Not trying to come off like a dick or anything I know people move from halfway across the country to come work in NYC but the last place I'd probably look for a roommate would be TLS/craigslist.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 pm

where uh…where would u find a roommate?

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:13 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Nebby wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:

Um maybe associates at the firm? Not trying to come off like a dick or anything I know people move from halfway across the country to come work in NYC but the last place I'd probably look for a roommate would be TLS/craigslist.

lol

You've never lived in NY, have you? Craigslist and other online outlets are an incredibly common way to find roommates.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:44 pm

I do. I've had plenty of friends who were forced to find roommates via Craiglist for one reason or another (not by choice) that all ended in disaster--mentally, emotionally, and financially.

There are plenty of programs run by actual property managers/brokers that will set you up with a qualified and thoroughly-vetted young professional.

I would think that OP would reach out to the firm to see if they could arrange something with another incoming first-year or, you know, he could reach out to other first-years that he met during his SA (unless he made no relationships all summer).

If you're going to live with someone from these forums or Craigslist, please update us on how it goes. I think these OGs just wanna turn you into their own social experiment.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 pm

i'll just wait for kellyfrost to come in to opine on renters insurance because this is weird

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Damn. I am not emotionally, financially, or otherwise scarred my both the roommates I found via Craiglist in NY. Perhaps I did something wrong....

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Personally, I think TLS or craigslist are perfectly fine ways to find a roommate. I think living with another big law attorney is a mistake though. First, you will want to unplug from work talk. Second, living with another person with a highly unpredictable schedule can be tough and lonely.

(lived with a few bankers in NYC prior to lawschool - they were never there, or only there after I had fallen asleep). I suppose, however, that it might be nice to have someone to commiserate with when you arrive home from work at 11:30 pm

champ33

Bronze

Postby champ33 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Lol. From someone who lived in NYC for many years, Craigslist is probably the single most common way of finding roommates. Living with friends can be a disaster just as easily as with random people. That said, there are a couple approaches to housing I've seen on this board. There are those who could envision responding to an ad, meeting some people and deciding whether they'd be comfortable trying to live with those people for a few months or a year. Then there are those, probably over represented in law school and law, who could only ever envision living with another "thoroughly vetted young professional." You just need to decide which you are, but the former option is perfectly reasonable and common.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:19 pm

actually good point tell me more about the vetting process

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:30 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:First, you will want to unplug from work talk. Second, living with another person with a highly unpredictable schedule can be tough and lonely.

Yeah, I agree with this, and wouldn't normally suggest doing so in normal circumstances. But OP is in a tough spot not having friends in NYC, so normal measures don't really apply. With a fellow associate (not necessarily someone from your firm), you're only really risking living with a weirdo. With Craigslist, you're risking living with a weirdo, someone that may go nuts and break your stuff, come home late really drunk every night, someone who makes a ton of noise, or someone who ends up murdering you in your sleep. And forget about looking for a 3+ bedroom apt; you're only multiplying your odds of getting a nightmare of a roommate or doubling down on a shitshow.

Look, you guys do you. Not saying you can't get lucky and get that awesome chill bro that just wants to hang when you're around and won't wake you up at 3 AM when he's having his orgy. NYC is a strange place full of weird characters, even if they don't look weird on the outside. You truly don't know someone until you live with them--I've seen 10-year relationships go down the tubes because two friends couldn't stand each other after they lived together for six months. The problems are amplified when you're talking about strangers.

If you are gonna live with interwebs people, write up a roommate agreement and have them sign it for when things inevitably go wrong.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:33 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:First, you will want to unplug from work talk. Second, living with another person with a highly unpredictable schedule can be tough and lonely.

If you are gonna live with interwebs people, write up a roommate agreement and have them sign it for when things inevitably go wrong.

Lawyers gonna lawyer.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:33 pm

there is a risk that roommates will be weird or do weird shit, more on this breaking development at 11

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:34 pm

1styearlateral wrote: you're risking living with a weirdo, someone that may go nuts and break your stuff, come home late really drunk every night, someone who makes a ton of noise, or someone who ends up murdering you in your sleep. And forget about looking for a 3+ bedroom apt; you're only multiplying your odds of getting a nightmare of a roommate or doubling down on a shitshow.

i see you're unfamiliar with the lounge

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Ok OP I'll live with you. Just sign here _____________.

LeDique wrote:
1styearlateral wrote: you're risking living with a weirdo, someone that may go nuts and break your stuff, come home late really drunk every night, someone who makes a ton of noise, or someone who ends up murdering you in your sleep. And forget about looking for a 3+ bedroom apt; you're only multiplying your odds of getting a nightmare of a roommate or doubling down on a shitshow.

i see you're unfamiliar with the lounge

Yeah I been there once and never went back.
Last edited by 1styearlateral on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:35 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Look, you guys do you. Not saying you can't get lucky and get that awesome chill bro that just wants to hang when you're around and won't wake you up at 3 AM when he's having his orgy.

finally, what kind of bro won't wake me up for the orgy? that's fucked up.

OneShot2009

New

Postby OneShot2009 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:32 pm

1styearlateral wrote:

Not if they want to stay friends. Unless its someone I'm very close with, I'd rather live with someone random then ruin a friendship by having them resent me for leaving dished in the sink or resent them for choosing 2am to be the time they blow dry their hair.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:21 am

ellewoods123 wrote:Hey all! I'll be moving to NYC in August 2017 to start work in September. I know it's early, but thought I'd go out on a limb/leave this here to see if there are other TLSers in a similar situation who are looking for a roommate! PM if interested :)

Now would be a good time to begin familiarizing yourself with renters insurance and running a few quotes so you know what to budget for.

Regarding the roommate, it is my suggestion that you do not share a renters insurance policy. You should each have your own policy.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:05 pm

1styearlateral wrote:I do. I've had plenty of friends who were forced to find roommates via Craiglist for one reason or another (not by choice) that all ended in disaster--mentally, emotionally, and financially.

There are plenty of programs run by actual property managers/brokers that will set you up with a qualified and thoroughly-vetted young professional.

I would think that OP would reach out to the firm to see if they could arrange something with another incoming first-year or, you know, he could reach out to other first-years that he met during his SA (unless he made no relationships all summer).

If you're going to live with someone from these forums or Craigslist, please update us on how it goes. I think these OGs just wanna turn you into their own social experiment.

"There are plenty of programs run by actual property managers/brokers that will set you up with a qualified and thoroughly-vetted young professional." Any worth sharing?

jingosaur

Gold

Postby jingosaur » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:26 pm

LeDique wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Look, you guys do you. Not saying you can't get lucky and get that awesome chill bro that just wants to hang when you're around and won't wake you up at 3 AM when he's having his orgy.

finally, what kind of bro won't wake me up for the orgy? that's fucked up.

Totally. And fellow Biglaw associates are far less likely to set up orgies for you.

I will be moving to NY around that time but plan on no roommates. I've only lived in NY with an SO or multiple roommates though and I'm somewhat worried that I'm going to be lonely in NY living by myself.

Return to “Legal Employment?