. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Last edited by perfunctory on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EIWIsMyFetish

New

Re: TT 1L 3.42 GPA

Post by EIWIsMyFetish » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:59 pm

perfunctory wrote: If I raise my grades to top 10-15% and transfer to T14, is biglaw more likely?
I'll let someone else answer the rest, but this is a clear, definite yes....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:28 pm

Was in your same exact position after first semester. I transferred to a T20 and got BigLaw. It was tough, though. I hustled, mass mailed, and flew to out-of-state interviews.

Transferring was the only reason I got BigLaw.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:25 pm

perfunctory wrote:Received my 1L fall grades back - 3.42. Between top 15-20%. TT in major market. Do I have a shot at biglaw? what about midlaw? If I raise my grades to top 10-15% and transfer to T14, is biglaw more likely?
Had similar grades and didn't transfer (got in a few places but couldnt swallow the debt load), got big law. But thats just anecdotal -- plenty of people with better grades didnt get big law, and plenty who transferred didn't get big law either. If on the off chance you are at a school in Chicago, feel free to pm me.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:26 am

perfunctory wrote:Received my 1L fall grades back - 3.42. Between top 15-20%. TT in major market. Do I have a shot at biglaw? what about midlaw? If I raise my grades to top 10-15% and transfer to T14, is biglaw more likely?
I got a 3.6 my first semester a T1 and transferred to a WashU/Vandy/ND extremely close to my home market. You will have a much better opportunity to receive screeners during OCI by transferring especially to either a T14 or a better school in an area where you have ties IMHO. I can't prove this, but comparing myself to my classmates at my old school with similar grades, I had a better selection of employment options to pick from. Some of this could be due to previous work experience, ties, and interview skills in general too though. However, $$$ is pretty important in this decision calculus (which you probably will know).

I wouldn't transfer to some state flagship from a TT in the same state (unless you're talking about UT-Austin or the like), they will generally limit you to your state.

One thing to be careful about - your grades aren't guaranteed to go up with more effort next semester (and they may even go down, which happened to me). I think my second semester killed my T14 transfer options to be completely honest. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”