"Referred" status for AUSA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Referred" status for AUSA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:34 pm

Forgive me if this is covered in another thread, I just figured it would be quicker to ask here than comb through the weeds.

Last month I applied for an AUSA opening. Last week my status changed from "received" to "referred." According to the text on USA Jobs, "referred" means that you are one of the best candidates and will be moved on to the next stage of screenings. After "referred," the only other stages are "selected" when you receive an offer, and "hired" when you accept the offer.

I'd appreciate any perspective on what "referred" actually means. Am I likely to be getting an interview? When should I be hearing from them, if that is the case? I've heard that going through a USAO application process can take many months. This was a relatively quick status change (position close to referred was probably about two weeks). Any idea on what the timeline from this point on would look like?

I recognize that every USAO might be different, and have their own procedures and timelines, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone through the process and might have some perspective.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: "Referred" status for AUSA

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:48 pm

I've applied for many federal jobs (and am currently in one) and unfortunately, being "referred" normally does not mean that much. Some offices will literally refer everyone who meets the minimum qualifications, while other offices are a bit more selective and only refer the "top" candidates.

When I was at my peak of applying for fed jobs, I received many notifications that my application had been referred, and virtually always got radio silence after.

This is not meant to be discouraging - I was given the advice that if you are regularly being referred then that means you are likely a decent candidate who at least has a shot in the long run. But don't waste too much time thinking about a position just because of a referral.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:54 pm

In my experience with AUSA gigs, referred simply means that you meet the required qualifications - like JD and years of experience - and isn't really an indication of being competitive. (Sorry!) but it is a necessary first step!

However I also think USAOs are trying to hire quickly right now due to uncertainty/hiring freeze talk, and my most recent applications went from referral to interview offer in a couple of weeks. So while it can be a long process I think USAOs hiring now have some incentive to move quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Ah, bummer. This is all disappointing albeit, useful information. Thanks for the insight. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Return to “Legal Employment�