Getting a job anywhere with universal healthcare. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NotTheNSA

New

Getting a job anywhere with universal healthcare.

Post by NotTheNSA » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:22 am

Hello all

I am a 0l, but this information may impact my decision to go into law (or not). If not, I might throw everything to scratch in order to get more immigration-able career (thankfully I am on full scholarship for undergrad).

My brother has a pre-existing condition. While Trump has promised to keep that protection I do not believe him. I am aware that in some countries, lawyers can, after some experience, work there if they have enough pull.

As such, I have questions;

1) Would it be beneficial to attend a foreign university, a.k.a, a Canadian (Easier I would believe for an American)/Australian school? I just don't think firms there would hire me is the problem since I wouldn't be a citizen.
2) What law "fields" should I get into to maximize foreign employability? I'm willing to do anything within the realm of reality.

I'm willing to work in bumfuck nowhere Alberta or the Outback or the Highlands if necessary. I am also willing to take a significant paycut. Anything to pay for my brother's medicine.

He won't need serious help until he is 40-50, so I have time to get experience if necessary. I also don't care what country I move to, or if I need to learn a new language. I'm willing to do anything I can. I assume though it will be a common law country.

Australia has my eye because they give healthcare to residents.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Getting a job anywhere with universal healthcare.

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:56 am

I might be missing something, but how will you working in a country with universal healthcare help your brother? Wouldn't the immigration policies matter more? I'm not sure it's always that easy for someone to get into a country based on a sibling's residency/citizenship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:01 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I might be missing something, but how will you working in a country with universal healthcare help your brother? Wouldn't the immigration policies matter more? I'm not sure it's always that easy for someone to get into a country based on a sibling's residency/citizenship.
I know in, at least Australia, a permanent resident/citizen can sponsor immediate family members for residency. And residence in Australia get medical care.

I am not sure if this is true for other countries.

This was not meant to be anon, how do I change that.

NotTheNSA

New

Post by NotTheNSA » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:07 am

So far it would seem this is actually only possible in Australia and Canada (they just get more restrictive about it). So let's go with those.

UK and New Zealand are out.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:49 am

This doesn't sound well thought out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:54 am

Really don't mean to be a dick, but why is your brothers health your responsibility? It seems like you are throwing away any chance at defining the career you want for yourself.

Is his condition such that he cannot work and find his own healthcare coverage? You estimated he won't need serious help until he is 40-50.

Are your parents entirely out of the picture?

In the frankly very unlikely scenario that preexisting conditions get repealed (you may not believe Trump but it's political suicide for anyone to touch that now), is your brother ok moving with you to a foreign country for his life?

Do you have any language skills besides English?

From a law standpoint: I'd say it's not worth it to go to an American law school if you fully intend to live abroad. I have no idea what attending a foreign law school as a us citizen is like, so I won't comment on that.

I guess I could see a path to living internationally that is something like top law school--->biglaw US few years (maybe) --->biglaw in international office somewhere. But that's hard and unlikely to work out that cleanly. Easier with ties/fantastic law school grades + school/language skills, but its still hard and you will be working a shit load in a practice you have no idea if you can tolerate.

If your end goal is purely to live internationally, and not specifically law focused, I would assume that finding any type of work is probably easier than spending lots of time and money for a US law school to try and find specialized US qualified work abroad in an already smaller legal market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Really don't mean to be a dick, but why is your brothers health your responsibility? It seems like you are throwing away any chance at defining the career you want for yourself.
Because he is my brother and I love him.
Anonymous User wrote: Is his condition such that he cannot work and find his own healthcare coverage? You estimated he won't need serious help until he is 40-50.
Because, without that clause, no insurance company will cover them. He would be a guaranteed loss.
Anonymous User wrote: Are your parents entirely out of the picture?
No, they could donate funds, but 40-50 olds can not be part of their parent's healthcare plans.
Anonymous User wrote: In the frankly very unlikely scenario that preexisting conditions get repealed (you may not believe Trump but it's political suicide for anyone to touch that now), is your brother ok moving with you to a foreign country for his life?
It would be a life or death situation so I would assume so.
Anonymous User wrote: Do you have any language skills besides English?
No, but if needed, I would be willing to learn them. I would have the time.
Anonymous User wrote: From a law standpoint: I'd say it's not worth it to go to an American law school if you fully intend to live abroad. I have no idea what attending a foreign law school as a us citizen is like, so I won't comment on that.
The advice I've gotten recommends the usual BigLaw approach and then lateraling somewhere international.
Anonymous User wrote: I guess I could see a path to living internationally that is something like top law school--->biglaw US few years (maybe) --->biglaw in international office somewhere. But that's hard and unlikely to work out that cleanly. Easier with ties/fantastic law school grades + school/language skills, but its still hard and you will be working a shit load in a practice you have no idea if you can tolerate.
As I said, I'm willing to do anything.
Anonymous User wrote: If your end goal is purely to live internationally, and not specifically law focused, I would assume that finding any type of work is probably easier than spending lots of time and money for a US law school to try and find specialized US qualified work abroad in an already smaller legal market.
This is true, but law would, unfortunately, be my best chance at that.

We are also trying to do it so he wouldn't be reliant on me, and could apply on their own means, but I wanted to have backup in case that didn't work.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:31 am

How old is your brother now? In other words, how many years of your life are you sacrificing for a ridiculously convoluted plan that will also probably be unnecessary?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Is his condition such that he cannot work and find his own healthcare coverage? You estimated he won't need serious help until he is 40-50.
Because, without that clause, no insurance company will cover them. He would be a guaranteed loss.
Is your brother incapable of working? It's great that you are willing to go to such lengths to help him, but this feels like a really convoluted, roundabout way of doing it. If he can work, wouldn't it be much simpler for him to build a career that will offer employer-based coverage? Or, if necessary, look into emigrating himself instead of using you as some kind of intermediary?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:58 am

I don't want to make light of your situation and I respect your motivations. That said, there are quite literally millions of Americans with severe medical issues. I'd guess that prior to Obamacare, these individuals and their families were not choosing a career and Country to live in in the hope of providing their family member with medicine.

I don't have an answer for you, but I don't think this plan is the right one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”