1L diversity summer associate positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:11 am

Current 3L. Landed 1L SA after mass-mailing 100+ firms. There is merit to the argument that you should only apply where you are truly interested in working, but I spanned the entire continental US. My grades were good enough to transfer me from a T20 to a T6.

Advice: you should be mass-mailing like crazy if you want a 1L SA, no matter your grades. I only got three phone screeners from all those emails sent.

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Current 3L. Landed 1L SA after mass-mailing 100+ firms. There is merit to the argument that you should only apply where you are truly interested in working, but I spanned the entire continental US. My grades were good enough to transfer me from a T20 to a T6.

Advice: you should be mass-mailing like crazy if you want a 1L SA, no matter your grades. I only got three phone screeners from all those emails sent.

I should have said this in my earlier post; I completely agree with the above: send as many polished applications as you can find the time for. I sent over 100 as well and had good results -- which is to say, a 3-5% positive response rate.

daisrt

Bronze

Postby daisrt » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:24 pm

zhenders wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current 3L. Landed 1L SA after mass-mailing 100+ firms. There is merit to the argument that you should only apply where you are truly interested in working, but I spanned the entire continental US. My grades were good enough to transfer me from a T20 to a T6.

I should have said this in my earlier post; I completely agree with the above: send as many polished applications as you can find the time for. I sent over 100 as well and had good results -- which is to say, a 3-5% positive response rate.

Did you guys end with 1L SAs in your hometown market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Anon from above. I landed in my hometown region, but not in hometown state. I only have experience with those who have landed diversity 1L SAs and it doesn't seem like the 1L SA positions at any particular firm are more home-friendly than the 2L positions. That is, if you're applying to a big law Texas firm as a 1L, you'd better have a connection to TX, which is the same thing I would say (generally) to a 2L. New York is the exactly the opposite.

In general, I consider myself lucky, even considering my grades. It's a crap shoot. I pretty much decided I wanted to get paid 1L summer and I exhausted every resource possible. Every career services administrator told me it wouldn't happen and you'll be told the same thing. Be prepared for that, if you haven't gotten it already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:53 pm

daisrt wrote:
zhenders wrote:

Did you guys end with 1L SAs in your hometown market?

I landed in my hometown market in a non-diverse 1L position -- from what I could tell, it was maybe the only non-diverse 1L position in the market so it was definitely difficult. Hometown market is not in TX.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Dinged at Linklaters, MoFo, and Cooley. All NYC offices...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Dinged at Cooley, BakerHostetler, Linklaters, Finnegan, BuckleySandler, Harter Secrest, Nixon Peabody -- all without grades.

Is it worth it to ask for a "reconsideration" after I receive my grades?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dinged at Cooley, BakerHostetler, Linklaters, Finnegan, BuckleySandler, Harter Secrest, Nixon Peabody -- all without grades.

Is it worth it to ask for a "reconsideration" after I receive my grades?

No, it's not worth it. Nothing bad will come from it, but nothing good will come from it either. Wasted effort.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone apply to Weil and then get invited to a reception?

Edit: Weil Gotshal Manges not Glaser Weil

Anyone else hear from Weil? Or Latham?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Latham NY has sent out interview requests and AFAIK Latham SF did initial GPA cuts last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Latham NY has sent out interview requests and AFAIK Latham SF did initial GPA cuts last week.

Has Latham NY gotten back to anyone re: scheduling?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:07 pm

How do you know about the initial GPA cutoffs for Latham SF? Did they email anyone yet?

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:14 pm

I don't think it's useful to think about 1L diversity slots as having GPA cutoffs; from my understanding of the process, it's a much more holistic hiring process. Grades obviously matter and are helpful, but stellar grades are certainly not necessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Hopefully my first and last neurotic question: after a CB interview, how long should I be comfortable waiting on a response from a firm for a 1L position? It's obviously still somewhat early in the process, but what is the standard? 1 week? 2 weeks? More?!

I felt great about the firm and their receptiveness to me, but I just don't know what's appropriate for moving from CB-->offer and it's making me itchy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Venable ding, Reed Smith Chi ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 pm

Bryan Cave and Schwabe dings

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Reed Smith, Linklaters, Sterne Kessler, Banner Witcoff, MoFo, MBHB, Cooley dings. I know, I'm on a roll...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reed Smith, Linklaters, Sterne Kessler, Banner Witcoff, MoFo, MBHB, Cooley dings. I know, I'm on a roll...

Florida Georgia line injects, "this is how we roll..."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hopefully my first and last neurotic question: after a CB interview, how long should I be comfortable waiting on a response from a firm for a 1L position? It's obviously still somewhat early in the process, but what is the standard? 1 week? 2 weeks? More?!

I felt great about the firm and their receptiveness to me, but I just don't know what's appropriate for moving from CB-->offer and it's making me itchy.

^ curious as well.

Also, for phone screeners, are thank you emails recommended?

Itiswritten

New

Postby Itiswritten » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:45 pm

UT/Vandy/UCLA/USC

Primary market

Dinged Cooley, Mofo

CB Venable (really hope it comes through)

Still waiting on many

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Offer at LA Mofo along with another classmate (UT/Vandy/UCLA/USC)

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hopefully my first and last neurotic question: after a CB interview, how long should I be comfortable waiting on a response from a firm for a 1L position? It's obviously still somewhat early in the process, but what is the standard? 1 week? 2 weeks? More?!

^ curious as well.

Also, for phone screeners, are thank you emails recommended?

It varies; the offer I received and accepted (large firm; big market; no ties beyond school) was maybe two weeks. Others, I waited a week; one in Texas I didn't hear back from at all -- I emailed them after accepting to let them know, and they apologized for taking so long.

The reality is simply this: lots of people apply; they all have 1st choice candidates, and most 1st choice candidates are the same across firms. Thus, if you're a top choice, they'll contact you asap post callback. If they're interested but you're not top choice, they will naturally wait until their top choice accepts or rejects in order to reach out to you. If you aren't dinged, I would consider yourself still in the running.

Screeners: up to you; most people would say don't. My experience is, it's all about whether doing so is consistent with your personality, and whether you can do it without being weird or awkward. If you're unsure, don't. If it would feel far too weird to you not to, then do -- just be cool about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer at LA Mofo along with another classmate (UT/Vandy/UCLA/USC)

congrats! if you don't mind me asking, what were your grades like and did you have any WE?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reed Smith, Linklaters, Sterne Kessler, Banner Witcoff, MoFo, MBHB, Cooley dings. I know, I'm on a roll...

Are you getting these dings by USPS mail or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Offer at LA Mofo along with another classmate (UT/Vandy/UCLA/USC)

congrats! if you don't mind me asking, what were your grades like and did you have any WE?

also curious. What diversity/race?

Return to “Legal Employment?