1L diversity summer associate positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Skadden NY rejection after callback


Sorry to hear about that. Do you mind sharing when you interviewed, your experience interviewing and if you received any feedback? I hear they invite most 1l Scholar call-backs for a 2L position in June. But that is not widely confirmed.


Interview last week, met with 4 people (partners and senior assoc) plus lunch with a few more people, 4 hour ordeal, clicked really well with everyone, super nice people, and no mention of straight to call back for 2L in the rejection letter so I can't confirm that. At least I got an expensive lunch haha. No feedback either.


Any clue at all what could've gone wrong? I assume not since you said they didn't give you feedback, but figured I'd ask. GPA/school?


Probs grades they weren't great, doubt it was the interview, I've gotten good reviews of it in general and I have other market firm offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Is it normal/not awkward to ask for feedback at the end of a callback from associates and partners who interview you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any clue at all what could've gone wrong? I assume not since you said they didn't give you feedback, but figured I'd ask. GPA/school?


Probs grades they weren't great, doubt it was the interview, I've gotten good reviews of it in general and I have other market firm offers.


Thanks for the response. I'm just wondering because I'm waiting to hear back on a CB and I thought I clicked with everyone too. Super nervous. Congrats on your other offers!

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal/not awkward to ask for feedback at the end of a callback from associates and partners who interview you?


Hmm, I'd ask this in another thread, lol. Not sure a bunch of 1Ls would be able to answer that. Or maybe ask career services? Good question though. In my (1L, and thus, relatively unimportant) opinion, I think it would make you look good - I imagine the associates/partners would be impressed that you wanted feedback.

Personally, I'd ask the recruiter. I wouldn't contact partners because they're busy and might get annoyed. Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Akin Gump screener

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Akin Gump screener


Pro Bono Scholars Program? GPA and school?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Latham SF ding


Grades? School?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham SF ding


Grades? School?

T14 top 10% weak ties

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham SF ding


Grades? School?

T14 top 10% weak ties


Did you have a CB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham SF ding


Grades? School?

T14 top 10% weak ties


Did you have a CB?

Nope

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Akin Gump screener


Pro Bono Scholars Program? GPA and school?


Yes, it's the Pro Bono Scholars Program - T14 - Above median

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham SF ding


Grades? School?

T14 top 10% weak ties


Did you have a CB?

Nope


screener or anything at all? or is this the first you've heard from them since submitting the application?

also:
haynes & boone dallas has started making offers
latham ny has started cb's

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham SF ding


Grades? School?

T14 top 10% weak ties


Did you have a CB?

Nope


screener or anything at all? or is this the first you've heard from them since submitting the application?

also:
haynes & boone dallas has started making offers
latham ny has started cb's


Aww, super bummed that Haynes and Boone Dallas never even got back to me about 1L diversity application. Was definitely my top choice but I'm probably not the kind of diverse they are looking for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:54 pm

Any word from Munger?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:00 am

Any Katten movement?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham SF ding


Grades? School?

T14 top 10% weak ties


DCNG Top5% strong ties. Dinged

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Munger?


I think munger is full, or almost full.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Munger?


I think munger is full, or almost full.


what makes you say that

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal/not awkward to ask for feedback at the end of a callback from associates and partners who interview you?


Hmm, I'd ask this in another thread, lol. Not sure a bunch of 1Ls would be able to answer that. Or maybe ask career services? Good question though. In my (1L, and thus, relatively unimportant) opinion, I think it would make you look good - I imagine the associates/partners would be impressed that you wanted feedback.

Personally, I'd ask the recruiter. I wouldn't contact partners because they're busy and might get annoyed. Just my 2 cents.


No - never do this. If it's a real interview for a real job, It's not appropriate. Thats what mock interviews are for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal/not awkward to ask for feedback at the end of a callback from associates and partners who interview you?


Hmm, I'd ask this in another thread, lol. Not sure a bunch of 1Ls would be able to answer that. Or maybe ask career services? Good question though. In my (1L, and thus, relatively unimportant) opinion, I think it would make you look good - I imagine the associates/partners would be impressed that you wanted feedback.

Personally, I'd ask the recruiter. I wouldn't contact partners because they're busy and might get annoyed. Just my 2 cents.


No - never do this. If it's a real interview for a real job, It's not appropriate. Thats what mock interviews are for.


Good to know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Akin Gump screener


Pro Bono Scholars Program? GPA and school?


Yes, it's the Pro Bono Scholars Program - T14 - Above median


Congrats. Do you have strong ties to the the city that you applied for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any Katten movement?


Haven't heard anything. I applied on the deadline, Jan 15. I think last year's threads indicated Katten didn't have movement until like mid Feb, I should double check that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:02 pm

For people getting screener requests- are they mostly for firms in your school's market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For people getting screener requests- are they mostly for firms in your school's market?

Surprisingly, no. I've been getting requests from random places that I have zero connection to like Atlanta, Florida, Minnesota, etc. Contemplating whether it's worth my time to do these screeners.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325100
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity summer associate positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For people getting screener requests- are they mostly for firms in your school's market?

Surprisingly, no. I've been getting requests from random places that I have zero connection to like Atlanta, Florida, Minnesota, etc. Contemplating whether it's worth my time to do these screeners.


Are you T14/high grades? If so, maybe they're trying to attract talent. Plus, these are diversity positions, so maybe they're trying to reach out beyond their market?



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.