Mid career salary

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
umichman

Bronze

Mid career salary

Postby umichman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:21 pm

What do you guys think is a reasonable expectation for a t-14 lstudent who starts at a top firm v10 or v25 whatever to make when hey are in mid 30s assuming they leave big law after 3-5 years and stay in either mid law or go in house.

Edit to be more specific
Last edited by umichman on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Mid career salary

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:31 pm

I think 100k is reasonable. It may be more and it may be less.

abogadesq

Silver

Postby abogadesq » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I think 100k is reasonable. It may be more and it may be less.

Really? That's unexpectedly low considering the time an effort takes to accomplish what is described in OP.

anon sequitur

Silver

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:13 pm

That is low, I don't think v10 for 3-5 years --> in-house or small firm for $100k is common, absent some career setbacks. It's less than you'd make as a career clerk.

obx

New

Postby obx » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:38 am

umichman wrote:What do you guys think is a reasonable expectation for a t-14 lstudent who starts at a top firm v10 or v25 whatever to make when hey are in mid 30s assuming they leave big law after 3-5 years and stay in either mid law or go in house.

Edit to be more specific

Anecdotally the ballpark is 180-230 for people who stay in private practice 10 years post-grad (assuming top tier law school and firm). 60-100 for some folks who either go to very small firms or government, and then some (very few) people who end up 500, 1M+ but i wouldn't count on that. A lot of people seem to take "midlaw" jobs when they're midlevels or seniors where they might be at 150ish but with much improved partnership prospects. These are not readily available, since these firms just don't hire that much, but there are also a lot of "mid" cities in America and only so many 5th years at S and C or whatever you like.

Return to “Legal Employment�