USAO MA vs. USAO SDNY (Summer Internship)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
redtowelbluetowel

New

USAO MA vs. USAO SDNY (Summer Internship)

Postby redtowelbluetowel » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:02 am

Quick question here. I'm thinking about which U.S. Attorney's Office would be better for a 1L summer legal internship. I think Boston is a place where I would be happier and is a good fit for me culturally (I'm also thinking about working for a Boston firm long term). However, if the USAO-SDNY is significantly better than USAO-MA, I might want to consider that more strongly. I've heard quite a bit about USAO-SDNY but I haven't heard as much about USAO-MA. What are your guys' perspectives on this?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: USAO MA vs. USAO SDNY (Summer Internship)

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 am

redtowelbluetowel wrote:Quick question here. I'm thinking about which U.S. Attorney's Office would be better for a 1L summer legal internship. I think Boston is a place where I would be happier and is a good fit for me culturally (I'm also thinking about working for a Boston firm long term). However, if the USAO-SDNY is significantly better than USAO-MA, I might want to consider that more strongly. I've heard quite a bit about USAO-SDNY but I haven't heard as much about USAO-MA. What are your guys' perspectives on this?

Do you have an internship offer in either office? If not, this is a pointless question. Neither are going to make or break your career. If you want to live in Boston, live in Boston; If you want to try out NY for the prestige, then do that. At the end of the day, you are going to be (if you get/have the job) a 1L intern... its not a super intense or meaningful role.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:57 am

If what you said about long-term goals and quality of life is true, I'd opt for USAO-MA if you're in the position to choose. SDNY USAO may be more prestigious or competitive generally, but I don't think that really applies to a 1L summer gig.

franny90

New

Postby franny90 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:56 pm

Last edited by franny90 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Do your 1L internship in the geographic location where you want to practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Former USAO intern. USAO looks great, but 1L internships are really just talking points for OCI.

This question is pretty simple. Where do you want to do you 2L summer? If you want Boston/NY, take the internship position in the respective city.

Return to “Legal Employment�