1 SA Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nativtracker

New

1 SA Question

Postby nativtracker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:20 pm

Just a quick question.

In general, when applying for diversity scholarships or 1L SA positions, do firms let you know if you have NOT been selected? Or is it kind of.. just send the materials out and if you don't hear back in a month or so, move on? If feel like I should Google , "If she doesn't text back, what does this mean." lol

Thanks a bunch.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Re: 1 SA Question

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:21 pm

I'm sure it will vary. Some firms will send emails, some will send snail mail letters, and some will ghost, leaving you to wonder if you'll ever find your soulmate.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:10 am

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:I'm sure it will vary. Some firms will send emails, some will send snail mail letters, and some will ghost, leaving you to wonder if you'll ever find your soulmate.

This answer applies to 2L OCI as well. Firms that you have screeners with or even a call back simply will never reach out to you with a rejection. Just be prepared.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:12 pm

You won't hear back from most 1L positions you apply for, unless you are offered a screener or callback interview in which case you'll always be told.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:21 pm

You won't hear back from most people. Some will politely tell you that they do not hire 1Ls/they are all full. If they are interested though they'll get back to you.

Also for any 1Ls reading this it isn't too late. I didn't apply to any 1L SA positions until grades came out in late January, snagged one a couple of interview requests. Not diverse whatsoever either. Don't ignore smaller more regional forms either--plenty of firms with 200-300 attorneys hire 1Ls despite their lack of a Vault ranking.

I think if you get grades and/or you have a reasonable claim to diversity you should take the time to blast a bunch of invitations. The $$$ is great.

Don't worry if your cover letters are shit either--mine were super generic as I wanted to mass mail a ton of firms quickly. I made egregious typos in cover letters to firms that have me a 2L offer at OCI so I don't think they keep them on file or anyone really gives a shit

nativtracker

New

Postby nativtracker » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks. One more follow up, do you know the general turn around for when firms offer screeners or callbacks? I submitted in mid-december post finals and haven't heard anything back. I think my qualifications are good, SLS and diverse, but you know, fear of rejection got me like..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:25 pm

nativtracker wrote:Thanks. One more follow up, do you know the general turn around for when firms offer screeners or callbacks? I submitted in mid-december post finals and haven't heard anything back. I think my qualifications are good, SLS and diverse, but you know, fear of rejection got me like..

They're not thinking about 1L SA right now. EIW/OCI happens quickly because it's a condensed period where they're forced to act. If that doesn't apply, expect a slower process. 1-2 weeks without word isn't a sign of anything.

Return to “Legal Employment�