Security Clearance for summer federal agency district internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tapeerap

New

Security Clearance for summer federal agency district internship

Postby tapeerap » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:33 am

Does anyone know if a full gov't security clearance is required if doing a PI interest internship for the summer at a district office of a federal agency?

If it is, could anyone speak to the level (i.e., is it merely the lowest 'confidential' one)? I know some sort of background check is a given, but I wasn't sure if a temporary position at the district office of an agency that doesn't exactly handle top secret info would merit the more extensive 'secret' clearance.

I ask because I have a factor that would probably stretch out the timeline for a gov't security clearance by maybe a month, so I want to steer clear of applications for jobs I wouldn't be able to clear in time.
Last edited by tapeerap on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Security Clearance for summer federal agency district internship

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Interned at the washington DC eeoc office (albeit, not in the field office, but in a different eeoc department) and didn't have to do anything related to clearance. Just a basic background check any employer would do.

Although keep in mind the Trump presidency will probably really mess with the commission and neuter it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:59 pm

I did a summer internship with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). They required a background check, but if I remember correctly is was a simple basic background check and they didn't even contact my references. It was a pretty low level of security I needed cleared for, basically just to be able to use a government lap top.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:05 pm

tapeerap wrote:Does anyone know if a full gov't security clearance is required if doing a PI interest internship for the summer at a district office of a federal agency?

If it is, could anyone speak to the level (i.e., is it merely the lowest 'confidential' one)? I know some sort of background check is a given, but I wasn't sure if a temporary position at the district office of an agency that doesn't exactly handle top secret info would merit the more extensive 'secret' clearance.

I ask because I have a factor that would probably stretch out the timeline for a gov't security clearance by maybe a month, so I want to steer clear of applications for jobs I wouldn't be able to clear in time.

It will depend on the agency (and the type of work you are doing, I'm sure). I summered with an agency and needed to obtain top secret clearance, which entailed the whole nine yards of jumping through hoops.

Return to “Legal Employment�