4th Yr NYC Biglaw Lit Associate AMA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 4th Yr NYC Biglaw Lit Associate AMA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fairly specific question, but I'll be starting at a firm in lit in September after the bar exam/bar trip. Can I plan and book a week long trip with my girlfriend now for late December over the holidays as a very new first year or is this a no? Obviously don't want to book something that will end up causing me a headache. Thanks!

Not OP, but I wouldn't. I worked that week my first and second year. Some people get lucky and never do. It's really the luck of the draw. Also, associates tend to push that stuff down around the holidays so they don't have to work. Kind of a right of passage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fairly specific question, but I'll be starting at a firm in lit in September after the bar exam/bar trip. Can I plan and book a week long trip with my girlfriend now for late December over the holidays as a very new first year or is this a no? Obviously don't want to book something that will end up causing me a headache. Thanks!

Not OP, but I wouldn't. I worked that week my first and second year. Some people get lucky and never do. It's really the luck of the draw. Also, associates tend to push that stuff down around the holidays so they don't have to work. Kind of a right of passage.

Also not OP, but I wouldn't either. I billed a LOT of hours that week this year as a first year. I'm corporate, but I know lit friends who had the NYE weekend ruined.

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:34 pm

If you're going to be in NY (or possibly the main office of your firm in another major city), I probably would not plan on trying to do this. If you're in a satellite office, I'd wait until I started and then start to feel out the associates, then the partners, on the issue. I wouldn't book it (unless it's refundable) until I did this. Many offices are essentially ghost towns between Christmas and New Years. All that said, there's a good chance even if you can go that you will have to work some or all of that time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
iliketurtles123 wrote:What are the differences between a v5 and v50? Do you notice a difference in the type of work, quality of work from peers and partners, etc.? Better perks? Etc.?

Better perks and much better exit options. Many more T6 grads/former clerks. Bonuses paid this month rather than Feb./March./April. Quality of work from peers is much more impressive. The V5 has more diversity of cases--white collar, employment, ATA litigation, etc. The V50 had one thing--RMBS litigation, which I despised. My peers at the V50 were chiller tho. People at the V5 are visibly more intense.

You mentioned white collar cases: How much do you get to work on those?

Return to “Legal Employment�