4th Yr NYC Biglaw Lit Associate AMA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

4th Yr NYC Biglaw Lit Associate AMA

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:36 pm

Been a reader here since law school apps, and am slow for the next week or so. 4th year assoc at a V5 in NYC, lit. Was ~median at a lower T14 (think M/V/P). Spent a year and a half at a V50 satellite in NYC, then really lucked out with a D. Ct. Clerkship in a competitive district (not S.D.N.Y., more like D. N.J.), and then "lucked out" again by landing at this V5 about 9 months ago. Happy to answer any questions.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: 4th Yr NYC Biglaw Lit Associate AMA

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:42 pm

When do you first start doing non-research/memo/drafting work? I'm assuming this probably varies by practice group, partner, and project though.

What do biglaw lit associates who are more senior and aren't trial/appellate attorneys do exactly beyond research memos and drafting motions?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:13 pm

How is QOL at V5 as compared to V50?

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Postby iliketurtles123 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:44 pm

What are the differences between a v5 and v50? Do you notice a difference in the type of work, quality of work from peers and partners, etc.? Better perks? Etc.?

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:48 pm

Can you talk about your general day, and how (if at all) it differs now from your prior firm?

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:33 am

Welp, there's your answer. Looks like OP got pulled into a matter on Christmas Eve

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:02 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:When do you first start doing non-research/memo/drafting work? I'm assuming this probably varies by practice group, partner, and project though.

Varies by partner and project. I assume you mean taking depos/making presentations to the gov/taking witness exams/making oral args? From what I've seen, generally, not before your 5th or 6th year.

PeanutsNJam wrote:What do biglaw lit associates who are more senior and aren't trial/appellate attorneys do exactly beyond research memos and drafting motions?

Managing doc productions, drafting presentations, preparing outlines for exams/depos. I'm unclear what you mean by "aren't trial/appellate attorneys," so let me know if my answer sounds off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:How is QOL at V5 as compared to V50?

The V50 was a bit worse. I worked more weekends at the V50, but I got unlucky with my teams there. At the V5, I've worked one entire weekend, and a handful of other weekends for maybe 4-6 hours. Got really lucky with my teams (chill) and matters. Your QOL will always depend on who you work with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:06 pm

iliketurtles123 wrote:What are the differences between a v5 and v50? Do you notice a difference in the type of work, quality of work from peers and partners, etc.? Better perks? Etc.?

Better perks and much better exit options. Many more T6 grads/former clerks. Bonuses paid this month rather than Feb./March./April. Quality of work from peers is much more impressive. The V5 has more diversity of cases--white collar, employment, ATA litigation, etc. The V50 had one thing--RMBS litigation, which I despised. My peers at the V50 were chiller tho. People at the V5 are visibly more intense.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:09 pm

Joscellin wrote:Can you talk about your general day, and how (if at all) it differs now from your prior firm?

It's not so different. I get in at about... 10. Emails flurry in primarily between 11 and 4 on my matters. Sometimes I have a call or two. I usually work until about... ~8:30. Most of my work right now is revising and prepping talking points for calls with and a presentation for a meeting with the DOJ, responding to random partner inquiries, and legal research. Often I work later, maybe until 10-11. Latest I've worked was 1 AM.

It could be worse, but it's grueling. It was about the same at the V50.

axel.foley

Bronze

Postby axel.foley » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Do you think that exit ops are worse (in terms of pay and difficulty of finding a job) in litigation than corporate work? What are typical exit ops for a litigation associate in your position?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Do you see yourself making partner at the firm? Is this something that you have better visibility at your level?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Any advice for getting the most substantive work as soon as possible?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:18 am

What did you do primarily in your first year at the V50?

How often do you physically have to go into the office on the weekends as opposed to working from home? What about your colleagues?

Do you expect to be working for a law firm of some kind and hence a slave to the billable hour for your whole career?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Have you worked with a shitty boss before? How do you like your bosses now compared to before? Would working for a shitty boss (screamer/mean/belittles you etc) prompt you to leave earlier? Or do you suck it up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm

does it get better?

dwyf

Bronze

Postby dwyf » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Is this the same AMA that was on reddit with no responses?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:20 am

axel.foley wrote:Do you think that exit ops are worse (in terms of pay and difficulty of finding a job) in litigation than corporate work? What are typical exit ops for a litigation associate in your position?

My understanding is that the exit options are different, but there seem to be more in-house opps for corporate folks. Litigation ppl tend to go to government, smaller firms, clerkships, and sometimes in-house. Corp folks almost always in-house or business.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you see yourself making partner at the firm? Is this something that you have better visibility at your level?

Haha, no. I'd like to make it to the end of 2017, if I can power through it, and then transition to public service for better QOL and more meaningful work. My loans should be done this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for getting the most substantive work as soon as possible?

Make yourself invaluable on your matters and be as available as possible. Be confident. Mastering the facts is the easiest way to do this. With that said, have low expectations...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:What did you do primarily in your first year at the V50?

Doc review and random research. A few memos. A tiny motion. Several witness interview outlines and kits (these were interesting).

How often do you physically have to go into the office on the weekends as opposed to working from home? What about your colleagues?

Never.

Do you expect to be working for a law firm of some kind and hence a slave to the billable hour for your whole career?

No. I'll be impressed if I make it to the end of the year :).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have you worked with a shitty boss before? How do you like your bosses now compared to before? Would working for a shitty boss (screamer/mean/belittles you etc) prompt you to leave earlier? Or do you suck it up?

I've worked with one that was petty, bitchy, and hyper-controlling. It was tough. I tried to just ignore it and power through. It worked? Yes, I think if I worked with a screamer, I'd be prompted to start looking sooner. The stress and hours, shitty boss aside, are a huge challenge in and of themselves.

My bosses now are much more reasonable, humane, and clear. Unexpected. I am on good teams at the V5. Wasn't so lucky at the V50. It's all luck of the draw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:does it get better?

No. Things only improve when you work with better people, I think, and that can happen at any level. As you get more senior, more is expected of you, so stress levels heighten, but you do less grunt work. You decide if that's "better."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 am

dwyf wrote:Is this the same AMA that was on reddit with no responses?

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Fairly specific question, but I'll be starting at a firm in lit in September after the bar exam/bar trip. Can I plan and book a week long trip with my girlfriend now for late December over the holidays as a very new first year or is this a no? Obviously don't want to book something that will end up causing me a headache. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment�