ABQ, New mexico

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ABQ, New mexico

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:39 am

any info on the legal market here? How about on the city?

Wife got offered a job here and it seems pretty chill. Good weather and cheap cost of living. Seems to be a need for legal aid/ pubic defender work. I want to do criminal defense or plaintiffs civ lit.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: ABQ, New mexico

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:34 am

Better Call Saul

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:38 am

ABQ has a need for attorneys because the one law school in the state just doesn't graduate enough people to fill the state's needs. I believe you can look at postings in the BYU job bank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Beautiful town that's growing. Isolated and no big law other than regional branch offices from places like Quarles & Brady and I think Snell & Wilmer.

It's the kind of town where the people who live there were born and educated there.

Not much of an economy, so that limits the legal work you could do, but there is a need for lawyers.

I'm in Phoenix and I'm a little jealous of you, I'd jump on ABQ if a job came my way.

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:56 pm

I'm from ABQ and know the market well from scheming to get there. There are only a few big-ish firms, Rodey, Modrall, Sutin, maybe BTB. They take 2-3 summers every year, Rodey hires maybe 1 every 5 years, Modrall hires way more. Rodey does most of its hiring through laterals.

The most important thing to know about the ABQ legal market is that almost all of it is a personality cult of UNM law. I was born there, went to high school there, got my undergrad from UNM, but since I left the state (top a top 25 school), I was grilled over my ties over and over and over and over. One of the other summers was from the deep south, went to UNM law, and never got grilled once. One NM COA judge listed on his clerkships page that he flatly doesn't consider applicants who didn't go to UNM law.

The DA's office in town (the 2nd) pays ADAs nothing (confirm on the sunshine portal-they get $43ish for many years; a guy I know is 5 years out and makes $48) because they know UNM law grads will flatly not consider leaving ABQ. Drive around downtown; dozens if not hundreds of converted houses with little 1-2 person firms who drive each other's prices down. Modrall/Rodey pay $70-80 for 1st years, but billable expectations are only 1800 or so. In other words, across the board pay is low, but lifestyle will be great. Santa Fe is commuting distance, but the market forces are the same.

All that said, UNM had a catastrophically bad showing in the most recent bar. I am hopeful that the UNM mafia will lose some of its power because at some point the employers have to realize objective ability matters more than everyone having the same civ pro professor.

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161142

This thread has a ton of really good information, too.

Return to “Legal Employment�