Thank You Email Erroneously Sent 8 TIMES!!! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
desperate4lawschool

New

Thank You Email Erroneously Sent 8 TIMES!!!

Post by desperate4lawschool » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:42 pm

I had an interview this afternoon. I wanted to write a thank you email to the person that interviewed me. I hit the "send" button once and I usually check the "sent" folders to make sure it went through. When I checked, the same email was sent 8 times by outlook. How embarrassing :( Now I feel like they're going to think I'm a spaz and ruin any positive impression I made during the interview. How can I fix this? Would it be best to ignore it and let her assume that it was a computer glitch or should I own up to it and send an apology email right away?

How does this work?

Dear *****,

I would like to apologize for the duplicate emails that were sent. Outlook appears to have sent multiple copies of the same email. It was not my intention to inundate your mailbox. Thank you for your understanding. Sincerely.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Thank You Email Erroneously Sent 8 TIMES!!!

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:43 pm

Don't spam their inbox more. If they got them all at once they probably rolled their eyes and maybe chalked it up to a tech fuck up and moved on.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:48 pm

Please don't email a person to apologize for sending more emails than you intended to. Let it go and hope for the best.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:52 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:I had an interview this afternoon. I wanted to write a thank you email to the person that interviewed me. I hit the "send" button once and I usually check the "sent" folders to make sure it went through. When I checked, the same email was sent 8 times by outlook. How embarrassing :( Now I feel like they're going to think I'm a spaz and ruin any positive impression I made during the interview. How can I fix this? Would it be best to ignore it and let her assume that it was a computer glitch or should I own up to it and send an apology email right away?

How does this work?

Dear *****,

I would like to apologize for the duplicate emails that were sent. Outlook appears to have sent multiple copies of the same email. It was not my intention to inundate your mailbox. Thank you for your understanding. Sincerely.
It's possible it is an outlook thing. I remember vaguely that I sent out TYs after an interview and seeing duplicates in the sent box. Tested an email to my personal account and received one copy and multiples in sent box. Googled it and somehow outlook on mac had some issue making multiple sent inbox copies.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:59 pm

But if you send the apology email, they may get it 8 times and will know how sorry you are. Silver lining.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:19 am

Also sorry for double post, but another reason why TYs after CBs are so shitty. I basically had to do them for my market (at least I think so), but yeah it sucks.

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:26 am

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Don't spam their inbox more. If they got them all at once they probably rolled their eyes and maybe chalked it up to a tech fuck up and moved on.
Agreed. As long as they all say the exact same thing the partner probably won't think anything of it. People know that glitches and weird stuff happens with computers.

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:26 am

Let this be a lesson to you all.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:36 am

Chill out. I'm guessing the email server on the receiver's side took care of it for you (even if there were 8 copies sent, which I doubt).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:03 am

This is why everyone on TLS says never send thank yous. I agree. 1.) It won't help your candidacy at ALL, and 2.) Easy to make a typo. I did my first CB and sent thank yous, and misaddressed the person. "Dear Katie,....". Then I noticed my mistake after re-reading the sent email, and had to send a "I'm sorry I misaddressed you, Emily, etc..."

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:11 am

Eldon Tyrell wrote:Let this be a lesson to you all.
^

john_brown

New

Post by john_brown » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:21 am

There's really nothing to be gained by sending thank you emails, and a whole lot that can go wrong (see, e.g., OP).

There's a simple alternative. At the end of your interview, look the person in the eye, shake their hand and thank them for their time, sounding like you mean it. Then move on with your life.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:41 am

It doesn't matter for biglaw generic firms. But thank you notes can tip the scale for midlaw, in house, or anything with a more personal feel.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is why everyone on TLS says never send thank yous. I agree. 1.) It won't help your candidacy at ALL, and 2.) Easy to make a typo. I did my first CB and sent thank yous, and misaddressed the person. "Dear Katie,....". Then I noticed my mistake after re-reading the sent email, and had to send a "I'm sorry I misaddressed you, Emily, etc..."
Did you proofread the email before sending it?

Genius

Silver

Post by Genius » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:Let this be a lesson to you all.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Just wondering how all the people who worry so much about sending a thank you note are going to fare in a legal practice where typos in a document important to the case matter. A thank you is on the easier end of communications that will be sent in someone's legal career.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 am

Clearly, the only solution is to send seven apology notes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:21 am

run26.2 wrote:Just wondering how all the people who worry so much about sending a thank you note are going to fare in a legal practice where typos in a document important to the case matter. A thank you is on the easier end of communications that will be sent in someone's legal career.
I think I see what you did there

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:32 am

BigZuck wrote:
run26.2 wrote:Just wondering how all the people who worry so much about sending a thank you note are going to fare in a legal practice where typos in a document important to the case matter. A thank you is on the easier end of communications that will be sent in someone's legal career.
I think I see what you did there
lol I thought the same thing, but read it again slowly and it does make sense as is. Now I can't read it the other way actually.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:46 pm

I sent three emails back-to-back and each appeared in my outlook sent folder 14 times. I'm actually pretty close friends with one of the three people I sent to, so I sent him a text like "lol wtf Outlook" and he had no idea what I was talking about -- only 1 email went through. So have some faith that their server took care of it. If the email had the same subject line and content and a server receives a dozen of them in a minute, it'll just only pass the 1 through to the recipient even if it appears spammed in your sent folder.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:02 am

The lesson here is never send thank you emails for interviews.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:The lesson here is never send thank you emails for interviews.
No, that's not the lesson here. As was pointed out up above on the thread, that's not how email servers treat email. If your communication and research skills are sufficient to find the people who you interviewed with and use the right name, they're fine to send. They don't necessarily move the needle either way, but it is a courteous thing to do. Not advocating that everyone do it, but a categorical rule based on the misperception that an email was received multiple times is unjustified.

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:06 pm

run26.2 wrote:
No, that's not the lesson here. As was pointed out up above on the thread, that's not how email servers treat email. If your communication and research skills are sufficient to find the people who you interviewed with and use the right name, they're fine to send. They don't necessarily move the needle either way, but it is a courteous thing to do. Not advocating that everyone do it, but a categorical rule based on the misperception that an email was received multiple times is unjustified.
Revised

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:45 pm

run26.2 wrote:
You must be a joy to hang around.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:23 am

There are reasons not to send them--I'm not debating that. An email sent erroneously 8 times (which it very likely wasn't) is not among them. That's my point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”