How screwed am i?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How screwed am i?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:01 am

Bottom 5% of my class at a TTT ...hated law school so didnt try...was promised a job that fell through when oil prices tanked... I Was median until I got a D and two Cs last semester..lost my scholarship and got really depressed.... Took a leave of absence to get my head straight

I am headed back to law school this semester. I have more motivation. I actually want to practice law.Thinking if i finish out with decent grades maybe my life wont be over? I dont mind doing shitlaw at all, just want a chance

Debt at graduation 85-90k

deepseapartners

Bronze

Re: How screwed am i?

Postby deepseapartners » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:43 am

How many semesters left until you graduate? You know you are in a bad, bad place, but if you have like one semester left, it might be worth it to stick around and at least get that degree on your resume. I probably wouldn't plan on practicing law anytime soon, though, unless you are willing to take some real shitlaw gigs where you are definitely not going to be able to service your debt load.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:50 am

If you do want to get a legal job, OP, you need to start networking and making connections - you're not in the realm where grades/school name are going to get you a job, so it has to be connections. Do you still want to work in oil? Do you know people in the field? One semester's not a lot of time but I would try to line up some kind of pertinent internship, join the local bar association (wherever it is you want to practice, which is hopefully where you go to school), go to events, get to know people. What experience do you have and can those people help you out?

I don't mean to say that you're in a great situation, but you are in the universe where grades/school don't matter, so what you can make of your situation depends on you and your willingness to make something happen. (And if you want to be a lawyer starting in shitlaw isn't always bad.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:56 pm

The reality is that you probably cannot bring your grades up to anything decent from my experience. The 1L GPA is really everything. Obviously, try to kill it as much as possible, but most jobs you may get offers from will probably not ask for your transcripts. Networking is the biggest thing now.

What about becoming an oil landman? I know you want to practice law, but it does have some elements of practicing and probably pays better than any other "shitlaw" gig would.

The problem is your debt load is likely not going to allow you to go solo either. I would try to figure out what area you want to practice in and try to make connections there including legal aid, PD (although that ship may have sailed), or personal injury.

Devlin

Silver

Postby Devlin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Sounds like you may be in Texas. There are tons of small/midsized firms in Houston, Dallas, SA, Austin, and Ft. Worth that you need to be connecting with now. It may not be your ideal job, but if you hustle you may be able to land on your feet.

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:18 pm

If you can pass the bar, you can get a job in a rural Mountain West PD/DA shop. As long as Trump doesn't revoke PAYE, you can have a nice life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:29 pm

andythefir wrote:If you can pass the bar, you can get a job in a rural Mountain West PD/DA shop. As long as Trump doesn't revoke PAYE, you can have a nice life.

Not OP, but I am interested in this and I hear this a lot on the board. Are there any links to these openings or other evidence?

Other than reaching out directly to offices by mass mailing, how would one find these openings? Thanks.

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
andythefir wrote:If you can pass the bar, you can get a job in a rural Mountain West PD/DA shop. As long as Trump doesn't revoke PAYE, you can have a nice life.

Not OP, but I am interested in this and I hear this a lot on the board. Are there any links to these openings or other evidence?

Other than reaching out directly to offices by mass mailing, how would one find these openings? Thanks.

http://www.nmbar.org/Nmstatebar/Publica ... letin.aspx

There aren't any entry level jobs posted in this week's issue, but if you go back, you can find most DA's offices post there.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:39 am

Yep network network and network. Studying and grades are sunk at this time. Time to hustle. Clerk in shitlaw part time to get some experience.

And the PAYE. if you hustle, you'll be alright.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:27 am

Op here... I have 2 semesters left. If I take a decent amount of credits next 2 semesters and kill it I will be about median. Not ideal, but wont have to ghost when firms ask for my transcipts...

Oil landman is basically dead at these prices... Biding my time until price recovers. Got offered an interview at a small firm on the east coast. Praying to god they dont ask for transcripts, if anything its just embarassing. I need a good semester to at least show aptitude...

I figure debt load wont be so bad if i can limit to 10% of my salary and my wife has a decent job. I only have myself to blame for this situation. I was top 25% 1L YEAR

abogadesq

Silver

Postby abogadesq » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:07 am

Regarding DA/PD positions out west, I'm pretty sure New Mexico has frequent PD positions open. Sadly, not all PD positions are advertised online. Mail out your resume and cover letter to every circuit of the state you get your license in, especially the rural ones. PD/DA is a fantastic position to start out in law and you can do so without stellar grades. You just need the cojones to do trial work and to show your motivation in your cover letter and interview.

mazatec

New

Postby mazatec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bottom 5% of my class at a TTT ...hated law school so didnt try...was promised a job that fell through when oil prices tanked... I Was median until I got a D and two Cs last semester..lost my scholarship and got really depressed.... Took a leave of absence to get my head straight

I am headed back to law school this semester. I have more motivation. I actually want to practice law.Thinking if i finish out with decent grades maybe my life wont be over? I dont mind doing shitlaw at all, just want a chance

Debt at graduation 85-90k

Are you fluent in any foreign languages? Spanish is especially helpful for PD/DA offices and can overcome a lower GPA.

Return to “Legal Employment�