Graduating in December, when to take bar

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kevinlomax

Bronze

Graduating in December, when to take bar

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Hey all, I had to take a semester off for medical reasons(surgery), so I will be graduating in Dec 2017. Naturally, The first bar exam abailable would be FEB 2018. I am worried about taking the February Bar because I am afraid employers will see my Bar Admission date and assumed I failed the bar the first time.

Should I just wait until July to take the bar?

Thoughts?

elendinel

Silver

Re: Graduating in December, when to take bar

Postby elendinel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:Hey all, I had to take a semester off for medical reasons(surgery), so I will be graduating in Dec 2017. Naturally, The first bar exam abailable would be FEB 2018. I am worried about taking the February Bar because I am afraid employers will see my Bar Admission date and assumed I failed the bar the first time.

Thoughts?

Why would they assume that, when presumably you're going to also have on your resume that you graduated the December right before?

If it's not an issue for PT students, I don't see why it would be for you.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:Hey all, I had to take a semester off for medical reasons(surgery), so I will be graduating in Dec 2017. Naturally, The first bar exam abailable would be FEB 2018. I am worried about taking the February Bar because I am afraid employers will see my Bar Admission date and assumed I failed the bar the first time.

Thoughts?

I just read your brief, straight to the point explanation of why you are graduating in december and why you would take the february bar. I don't assume that you failed the first time around. Why would an employer think this, particularly after they see on a resume that you graduated in december?

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:40 pm

Good points, just wanted to make sure it wont be a red flag. Thanks

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Most December grads also state so in the email providing the application materials or in cover letter.

abogadesq

Silver

Postby abogadesq » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:59 am

Employers did ask about it, but were at ease when I said I graduated early. Turn everything into a positive (not that graduating early is negative, just uncommon).

Return to “Legal Employment�