Cooley Reston?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cooley Reston?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:50 am

For fear of outing, I'll keep this anon. I'll be heading to Cooley in their Reston, VA office. It's too late at this point, but one thing concerns me:

What's the exit ops as far as their office is concerned? It's a Cali firm, so I'm afraid the quality of work might take a hit.

Anonymous User

Re: Cooley Reston?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:25 am

My buddy interviewed out there for tech trans a couple of years ago. At least with tech transactions work, he told me that the work there is mostly with big companies (vendor side) and generally not with startups.

He said the exit opportunities were decent. A lot of them go inhouse.

Anonymous User

Re: Cooley Reston?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:59 am

If what you're worried about is that the Reston office, specifically, won't have good work because all of the interesting work will be in Cali, I would say that Cooley does appear to have a decent amount of cross-office collaboration. It highly depends on what group you're in/who you work with/what your strengths are, but I have definitely heard of people getting work from multiple officer with a little initiative (i.e., by reaching out to partners in other offices themselves to ask for more work/to see if those partners want help on anything).

A few people go on to biglaw firms/in-house/clerkships.

Return to “Legal Employment�