I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CoLolliRol

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby CoLolliRol » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:26 pm

I am a 1L and obviously, I am currently applying for Summer Associate positions. Honestly, I'm confused on what exactly a summer associate does....

I know it will vary by firm, but in general what responsibilities will I have?

User avatar
EzraFitz

Silver
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby EzraFitz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:30 pm

Drink...


No but really, it is firm dependent, but you do a large variety of things, often things mirroring what a first year associate would do, such as diligence/review, research memos, pro bono matters, and maybe some less client based stuff (like mailings regarding new case releases).

And then drink.

User avatar
LaLiLuLeLo

Silver
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:42 pm

EzraFitz wrote:Drink...


No but really, it is firm dependent, but you do a large variety of things, often things mirroring what a first year associate would do, such as diligence/review, research memos, pro bono matters, and maybe some less client based stuff (like mailings regarding new case releases).

And then drink.


You forgot eat.

Danger Zone

Platinum
Posts: 8260
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:59 pm

A lot of research and writing. If you're lucky, go places with attorneys, like court or a closing (to the extent in person closings still exist).
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

favabeansoup

Bronze
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby favabeansoup » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:04 pm

For most firms, I think it is the single best job a lawyer will ever have. You'll do easy pro bono work/due diligence/drafting small research things. Partners might force you to stop working and leave at 5-6 even if you have work to keep doing for them. Plus the dinners, happy hours, free lunches, events, and first year salary for 3 months. You really can't beat it.

User avatar
Toubro

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby Toubro » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:43 pm

CoLolliRol wrote:I am a 1L and obviously, I am currently applying for Summer Associate positions. Honestly, I'm confused on what exactly a summer associate does....

I know it will vary by firm, but in general what responsibilities will I have?


What everyone said ITT is accurate, BUT if you're asking how to package your SA application (and yourself) to show that you are suited for the job profile, I don't think it's the right question to ask. IMO firms aren't looking for good summer associates; they're looking for traits that will make for good associates down the line. So just because it's generally known that SAs don't really do much more than diligence at the firm to which you're applying (for example), don't shy away from trying to show analytical skills, etc., to the extent you can and doing so is not obnoxious or precocious.

User avatar
stannis

Silver
Posts: 1274
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:01 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby stannis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:46 pm

If you go to smaller firms (often in secondary/tertiary markets), you may actually be doing real work as a summer. Smaller firms can't have deadweight and are more likely to test their summer associates to make sure their capable of the work. If you're in litigation you may get assignments like these: research memo on an legal issue related to ongoing litigation (most common assignment); draft a motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment or an opposition to a motion (or more likely, a portion of such a motion or opposition); review a complaint or demand letter and write a memo assessing the validity of the claims; short assignments where you are asked to find cases to support a legal proposition for insertion into a brief; assist attorneys with non-billable projects (presentations or seminars on an area of law).

Anonymous User
Posts: 325125
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:01 pm

stannis wrote:If you go to smaller firms (often in secondary/tertiary markets), you may actually be doing real work as a summer. Smaller firms can't have deadweight and are more likely to test their summer associates to make sure their capable of the work. If you're in litigation you may get assignments like these: research memo on an legal issue related to ongoing litigation (most common assignment); draft a motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment or an opposition to a motion (or more likely, a portion of such a motion or opposition); review a complaint or demand letter and write a memo assessing the validity of the claims; short assignments where you are asked to find cases to support a legal proposition for insertion into a brief; assist attorneys with non-billable projects (presentations or seminars on an area of law).


This can also apply to smaller, more specialized satelite offices of large firms, btw. The experience of the New York office is not universally applicable.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby zot1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Party.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325125
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Can anyone speak to summer associate life at a v5? Don't know what to expect.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to summer associate life at a v5? Don't know what to expect.

Likely chill AF unless you chose the wrong V5. Some of them you have to work as a SA it sounds like.

Just basing that on what I've heard from friends

Anonymous User
Posts: 325125
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:00 pm

I SA'ed at a small firm, where I got hired after my summer. I was the only SA in a firm of about 20 lawyers. I probably did tasks for nearly 75% of the lawyers in my time there. A lot of it was research/writing and grunt work, but I also got a few substantive assignments especially for the attorneys who were overworked and wanted to throw stuff at me. I remember my second day a younger associate came by, handed me a folder and asked "Can you handle this case?"

My experience will likely vary slightly from others but seems typical for a small firm.

hlsperson1111

Bronze
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to summer associate life at a v5? Don't know what to expect.

Likely chill AF unless you chose the wrong V5. Some of them you have to work as a SA it sounds like.

Just basing that on what I've heard from friends


V1-V2: work a lot
V3-V5: chill af

Blackfish

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:58 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby Blackfish » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:51 pm

for most people being a summer associate at a biglaw firm is probably the PEAK experience of your law career.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:10 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to summer associate life at a v5? Don't know what to expect.

Likely chill AF unless you chose the wrong V5. Some of them you have to work as a SA it sounds like.

Just basing that on what I've heard from friends


V1-V2: work a lot
V3-V5: chill af

A+ pro-SullCrom trolling

Beautiful

run26.2

Silver
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby run26.2 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:42 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:Drink...


No but really, it is firm dependent, but you do a large variety of things, often things mirroring what a first year associate would do, such as diligence/review, research memos, pro bono matters, and maybe some less client based stuff (like mailings regarding new case releases).

And then drink.


You forgot eat.

The amount we ate was quite possibly harder on my body than the amount we drank as summers.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1704
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:08 pm

run26.2 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:Drink...


No but really, it is firm dependent, but you do a large variety of things, often things mirroring what a first year associate would do, such as diligence/review, research memos, pro bono matters, and maybe some less client based stuff (like mailings regarding new case releases).

And then drink.


You forgot eat.

The amount we ate was quite possibly harder on my body than the amount we drank as summers.


Easily true for me. I did my best to skip lunches here and there just cause it became too much. Sounds like a prick thing to complain about, I know, but eating expensive and filling lunches everyday gets old quick.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:53 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:Drink...


No but really, it is firm dependent, but you do a large variety of things, often things mirroring what a first year associate would do, such as diligence/review, research memos, pro bono matters, and maybe some less client based stuff (like mailings regarding new case releases).

And then drink.


You forgot eat.

The amount we ate was quite possibly harder on my body than the amount we drank as summers.


Easily true for me. I did my best to skip lunches here and there just cause it became too much. Sounds like a prick thing to complain about, I know, but eating expensive and filling lunches everyday gets old quick.

G
T
F
O

Seriously, modz plz. Enough is enough.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.