I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CoLolliRol

New

I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby CoLolliRol » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:26 pm

I am a 1L and obviously, I am currently applying for Summer Associate positions. Honestly, I'm confused on what exactly a summer associate does....

I know it will vary by firm, but in general what responsibilities will I have?

EzraFitz

Silver

Re: I'm slightly confused, what exactly does a Summer Associate do?

Postby EzraFitz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:30 pm

Drink...

No but really, it is firm dependent, but you do a large variety of things, often things mirroring what a first year associate would do, such as diligence/review, research memos, pro bono matters, and maybe some less client based stuff (like mailings regarding new case releases).

And then drink.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:42 pm

EzraFitz wrote:Drink...

No but really, it is firm dependent, but you do a large variety of things, often things mirroring what a first year associate would do, such as diligence/review, research memos, pro bono matters, and maybe some less client based stuff (like mailings regarding new case releases).

And then drink.

You forgot eat.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:59 pm

A lot of research and writing. If you're lucky, go places with attorneys, like court or a closing (to the extent in person closings still exist).
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:04 pm

For most firms, I think it is the single best job a lawyer will ever have. You'll do easy pro bono work/due diligence/drafting small research things. Partners might force you to stop working and leave at 5-6 even if you have work to keep doing for them. Plus the dinners, happy hours, free lunches, events, and first year salary for 3 months. You really can't beat it.

Toubro

Bronze

Postby Toubro » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:43 pm

CoLolliRol wrote:I am a 1L and obviously, I am currently applying for Summer Associate positions. Honestly, I'm confused on what exactly a summer associate does....

I know it will vary by firm, but in general what responsibilities will I have?

What everyone said ITT is accurate, BUT if you're asking how to package your SA application (and yourself) to show that you are suited for the job profile, I don't think it's the right question to ask. IMO firms aren't looking for good summer associates; they're looking for traits that will make for good associates down the line. So just because it's generally known that SAs don't really do much more than diligence at the firm to which you're applying (for example), don't shy away from trying to show analytical skills, etc., to the extent you can and doing so is not obnoxious or precocious.

stannis

Silver

Postby stannis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:46 pm

If you go to smaller firms (often in secondary/tertiary markets), you may actually be doing real work as a summer. Smaller firms can't have deadweight and are more likely to test their summer associates to make sure their capable of the work. If you're in litigation you may get assignments like these: research memo on an legal issue related to ongoing litigation (most common assignment); draft a motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment or an opposition to a motion (or more likely, a portion of such a motion or opposition); review a complaint or demand letter and write a memo assessing the validity of the claims; short assignments where you are asked to find cases to support a legal proposition for insertion into a brief; assist attorneys with non-billable projects (presentations or seminars on an area of law).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:01 pm

stannis wrote:If you go to smaller firms (often in secondary/tertiary markets), you may actually be doing real work as a summer. Smaller firms can't have deadweight and are more likely to test their summer associates to make sure their capable of the work. If you're in litigation you may get assignments like these: research memo on an legal issue related to ongoing litigation (most common assignment); draft a motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment or an opposition to a motion (or more likely, a portion of such a motion or opposition); review a complaint or demand letter and write a memo assessing the validity of the claims; short assignments where you are asked to find cases to support a legal proposition for insertion into a brief; assist attorneys with non-billable projects (presentations or seminars on an area of law).

This can also apply to smaller, more specialized satelite offices of large firms, btw. The experience of the New York office is not universally applicable.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Party.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Can anyone speak to summer associate life at a v5? Don't know what to expect.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to summer associate life at a v5? Don't know what to expect.

Likely chill AF unless you chose the wrong V5. Some of them you have to work as a SA it sounds like.

Just basing that on what I've heard from friends

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:00 pm

I SA'ed at a small firm, where I got hired after my summer. I was the only SA in a firm of about 20 lawyers. I probably did tasks for nearly 75% of the lawyers in my time there. A lot of it was research/writing and grunt work, but I also got a few substantive assignments especially for the attorneys who were overworked and wanted to throw stuff at me. I remember my second day a younger associate came by, handed me a folder and asked "Can you handle this case?"

My experience will likely vary slightly from others but seems typical for a small firm.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to summer associate life at a v5? Don't know what to expect.

Likely chill AF unless you chose the wrong V5. Some of them you have to work as a SA it sounds like.

V1-V2: work a lot
V3-V5: chill af

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:51 pm

for most people being a summer associate at a biglaw firm is probably the PEAK experience of your law career.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:10 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

V1-V2: work a lot
V3-V5: chill af

A+ pro-SullCrom trolling

Beautiful

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:42 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

And then drink.

You forgot eat.

The amount we ate was quite possibly harder on my body than the amount we drank as summers.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:08 pm

run26.2 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

And then drink.

You forgot eat.

The amount we ate was quite possibly harder on my body than the amount we drank as summers.

Easily true for me. I did my best to skip lunches here and there just cause it became too much. Sounds like a prick thing to complain about, I know, but eating expensive and filling lunches everyday gets old quick.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:53 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

And then drink.

You forgot eat.

Easily true for me. I did my best to skip lunches here and there just cause it became too much. Sounds like a prick thing to complain about, I know, but eating expensive and filling lunches everyday gets old quick.

G
T
F
O

Seriously, modz plz. Enough is enough.

Return to “Legal Employment�