DC Lit Boutiques

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Lit Boutiques

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:43 pm

I'm looking at going into lit in DC next fall. I think I have decent credentials and might be able to swing Robbins Russell or Wilkinson Walsh if I go for them. I don't know much about the lifestyle at these firms though, and I'm also not sure of what other decent options might be out there (I've thought about Williams & Connolly and Kellog Huber but don't think either is for me for various reasons).

I'd like to have good experience and develop skills as a litigator, but I'd also like to avoid getting killed hours-wise, and I while I suspect the experience will be better at smaller firms, I wonder if I might be able to more easily defend myself/set boundaries at larger ones. Any insight into the lifestyle and other aspects of practice at smaller DC firms? Advice appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: DC Lit Boutiques

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Wilkinson Walsh is hiring but is not a lifestlye firm. It's basically the opposite given that their main objective is to try high-stakes cases.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:08 pm

The next litigation boutique with a good lifestyle I hear of will be the first

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Come to buckleysandler. Not a lit-boutique exactly (more of a government enforcement boutique) but plenty of lit going on. 1800 billable hours, unlimited vacation, and infinite pro bono hours count towards 1800. Won't give too many details but I had my own doubts about 1800 and its real. My total comp beat market last year and I had sub 1900 hours.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Just curious, why have you ruled out W&C and Kellog?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking at going into lit in DC next fall. I think I have decent credentials and might be able to swing Robbins Russell or Wilkinson Walsh if I go for them. I don't know much about the lifestyle at these firms though, and I'm also not sure of what other decent options might be out there (I've thought about Williams & Connolly and Kellog Huber but don't think either is for me for various reasons).

I'd like to have good experience and develop skills as a litigator, but I'd also like to avoid getting killed hours-wise, and I while I suspect the experience will be better at smaller firms, I wonder if I might be able to more easily defend myself/set boundaries at larger ones. Any insight into the lifestyle and other aspects of practice at smaller DC firms? Advice appreciated.

Also, just curious, what do you consider "decent credentials?" I'm currently clerking and am considering all the firms listed as a post-clerkship landing spot, and I'm curious as to what you're gauging as a realistic applicant for these firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Come to buckleysandler. Not a lit-boutique exactly (more of a government enforcement boutique) but plenty of lit going on. 1800 billable hours, unlimited vacation, and infinite pro bono hours count towards 1800. Won't give too many details but I had my own doubts about 1800 and its real. My total comp beat market last year and I had sub 1900 hours.

Harris, Wiltshire and Grannis is similar. They call themselves a telecom boutique, but from what I understand they have enough lit work that you can just do lit and still make hours. I interviewed there for an SA and really liked the people. I've forgotten their specs on hours/comp.

I'd also look at Zuckerman, VanNess Feldman, Kobre Kim, or Morvillo. They're all less preftige-obsessed than WilCo and Kellog.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Come to buckleysandler. Not a lit-boutique exactly (more of a government enforcement boutique) but plenty of lit going on. 1800 billable hours, unlimited vacation, and infinite pro bono hours count towards 1800. Won't give too many details but I had my own doubts about 1800 and its real. My total comp beat market last year and I had sub 1900 hours.

Harris, Wiltshire and Grannis is similar. They call themselves a telecom boutique, but from what I understand they have enough lit work that you can just do lit and still make hours. I interviewed there for an SA and really liked the people. I've forgotten their specs on hours/comp.

I'd also look at Zuckerman, VanNess Feldman, Kobre Kim, or Morvillo. They're all less preftige-obsessed than WilCo and Kellog.

What's Zuckerman's deal? On the one hand they seem pretty serious and have a lot of high-powered talent, but then I hear them advertising on WAMU ("When the lawyer you choose matters") and sporting a 2005-era website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Oh hey folks. This is OP. I thought my thread was doomed but thanks for the responses.

Anonymous User wrote:Wilkinson Walsh is hiring but is not a lifestlye firm. It's basically the opposite given that their main objective is to try high-stakes cases.

Thanks for this. I suppose I should say that I'm pretty ok working a few 85 hour weeks in a row so long as there are 40 hour weeks on the other side. It's the 80-hour-all-the-time thing that would burn me out fast.

Thanks for this. After reading your post and looking them up I'll defintely be digging deeper. I'm not quite sure if their practices align with what I'd seen myself doing (if I'm not into white collar can I avoid it there? Was planning on more general lit stuff), but so far this looks like a cool place.

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious, why have you ruled out W&C and Kellog?

W&C is a great firm but I just didn't see myself fitting with the culture when I interviewed as a student, and also I'm not signing up for a firm that's pretty close to biglaw just without biglaw pay (I'll be going in as a third year, and lack of bonuses really starts hurting their associates around then). Kellog Huber seems like a more-soulless-than-usual sweatshop (2600+ hours is normal there from what people with first-hand experience tell me).

Anonymous User wrote:Harris, Wiltshire and Grannis is similar. They call themselves a telecom boutique, but from what I understand they have enough lit work that you can just do lit and still make hours. I interviewed there for an SA and really liked the people. I've forgotten their specs on hours/comp.

Thanks. I'll do some looking. I think I've heard Harris is great to work at but I may be too greedy for it (I think pay is good but not quite market).

Anonymous User wrote:Also, just curious, what do you consider "decent credentials?" I'm currently clerking and am considering all the firms listed as a post-clerkship landing spot, and I'm curious as to what you're gauging as a realistic applicant for these firms.

Honestly I don't know a whole lot more than you probably do. I've read associate bios and my paper self stacks up fine with what's there. Seems like these firms have a fairly broad mix, ranging from lower T14 with just medium-good grades (plain honors) and cool activities all the way to glittering SCOTUS-clerk level. My suspicion is that a certain amount of paper cred gets in you in the door and a good interview + go-getter attitude seals the deal. I interviewed at Susman Godfrey as a student (callback but no offer; probably was way too intimidated), and I'm drawing the go-getter inference from that experience.

Return to “Legal Employment�