Deal value in a resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Deal value in a resume

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:23 pm

On a lateral resume, what is the best way to write the following information:

[An example]
-Represented Ford in its $50 billion acquisition of GM.
or
-Represented a large automaker in its $50 billion acquisition of another large automaker.
or
-Represented a large automaker in its multi-billion dollar acquisition of another large automaker.

If the deal is public and the fact that your law firm is representing the firm is public, how would you put this on a resume? I mean, it's on my firm bio... but it just looks weird on a resume to out the client. Is it just me, or would you agree?

Anonymous User

Re: Deal value in a resume

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:27 pm

OP. BTW, the reason I would call this info out is because it's a particularly high profile deal.

Fiddlesticks

New

Postby Fiddlesticks » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Dude, you represented Ford? That's awesome!

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:19 pm

If it's on your bio, then resume is fine. Brag about yourself.

nealric

Gold

Postby nealric » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a lateral resume, what is the best way to write the following information:

[An example]
-Represented Ford in its $50 billion acquisition of GM.
or
-Represented a large automaker in its $50 billion acquisition of another large automaker.
or
-Represented a large automaker in its multi-billion dollar acquisition of another large automaker.

If the deal is public and the fact that your law firm is representing the firm is public, how would you put this on a resume? I mean, it's on my firm bio... but it just looks weird on a resume to out the client. Is it just me, or would you agree?

If the deal is public - i.e. there was a press release- it's fine to say you worked on it as long as your description of what your role in the deal was accurate. If the deal was/is not public, just describe it anonymously ("Represented private equity firm in $10 billion acquisition of foreign conglomerate")

By all means, put the dollar amount if it was large- it shows you were working on high-dollar deals to the new employer. If you were doing small $5 million deals and are trying to lateral to a larger firm that does bigger deals, it may make sense to leave numbers off.

Return to “Legal Employment�