Traveling - Rental Car vs. Black Car/Cabs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Traveling - Rental Car vs. Black Car/Cabs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:49 am

This is a bit different thematically from the questions that are usually posed here, so I appreciate your indulgence.

I have been traveling a fair bit lately. My default instinct was always to rent a car for local travel at my destination, because the whole endeavor costs about what it would cost for a cab from the airport to the hotel. The downside I have started to notice more and more is it adds at least a half hour after landing and before checkin, and requires a bunch of extra walking around with a bunch of luggage. My main concerns with using cabs instead are costs, getting them set up - requires either constant calls to the office or doing it myself in a strange city, and potential inability to get one when you need it.

I am curious about your thoughts - particularly junior associates who may also be learning the ropes of business travel - about how you choose to travel to/from the airport and clients when you are traveling for work.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Traveling - Rental Car vs. Black Car/Cabs

Postby kellyfrost » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Rental cars are a pain in the ass.

Cabs, or Uber car good for travel in major cities. You shouldn't have to worry about calling them or not finding transportation. Also, an often overlooked form of transportation from the airport to the hotel is the hotel shuttle. Often the hotel shuttle will even take you to a restaurant or bar and pick you back up. I had a hotel shuttle drop me off and pick me up at the Mall of America once. I was glad I didn't have to risk getting a DUI in a rental car that night!
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackcup

New

Postby blackcup » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Why don't you use uber/lyft? It's always cheaper than a cab and you can always call them over, assuming you're traveling in a moderately sized city.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:54 am

There really ought to be someone you can ask because this will be case by case.

However, in general: I'd say use cabs unless you're going to another city/area altogether. The only times I've known someone to rent a car is when they're flying into one city and then need to get someplace an hour or two away. Cab is a strong default presumption.

Now that I'm saying this though, I wonder if this is partly east coast bias. Maybe people are more likely to rent a car if they're used to driving to work every day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:58 am

Totally outside the scope of the thread here, but what kind of positions or departments in big law allow you to travel so often for business?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Totally outside the scope of the thread here, but what kind of positions or departments in big law allow you to travel so often for business?

There was just a whole thread on this. Too lazy to link on iPhone. But lit has some travel, white collar can have a ton of travel.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Postby patentlitigatrix » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:06 pm

blackcup wrote:Why don't you use uber/lyft? It's always cheaper than a cab and you can always call them over, assuming you're traveling in a moderately sized city.

This. And the situations where I rent a car are when I have to drive somewhere hours from where I fly into, I am going to be going to multiple destinations that are far away from each other but not far enough away to fly, or I am going somewhere rural where I can't count on Uber.

Also, you shouldn't have "bunches of luggage." Get that shit down to a carry-on rollerboard and a laptop bag.

dudders

Bronze

Postby dudders » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:25 pm

Hard question to answer, because 1) it depends on where you're going, and 2) whether you want or have time to do fun or personal stuff while traveling that you want to use a rental for and work won't pay for ubers ...

If you have to rent a car you should really look into Silvercar though if your work will pay for it

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:05 am

When I used to work for a corporation, rental cars were preferred since we had a deal with them and more protection in case of an incident as opposed to Uber. When I was in a big city though I still used Uber/Lyft since you want experienced drivers when you're travelling to a major foreign city especially if it's compact.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DF Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:40 am

DF Thread

Return to “Legal Employment�