Give up at lawyering

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Give up at lawyering

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:36 pm

I read an article within the past year but I cannot seem to locate it. The article was written by a managing attorney who discussed the inadequacy of young attorneys/law clerks. One of the stories was about how he initially viewed a young attorney as "curious" and "inquisitive" but that after a few months he realized that the questions did not stop, the attorney did not improve, and he had to fire him. The managing attorney offered the article to others who might be in this particular young attorney's position to choose another path and give up at lawyering.

The thread "I F'ing Suck at Attention to Detail" thread reminded me of the article (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=271900).

I wasn't able to find it, but please post here if you have the url.

zot1

Gold

Re: Give up at lawyering

Postby zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:40 pm

So after how many months should the young attorney quit?

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:58 pm

Good thing you posted anonymously.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks for this valuable contribution.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:55 pm

i can't believe that one guy one time had to fire someone. allegedly.

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Postby FullRamboLSGrad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:26 pm

Argh millennials

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I read an article within the past year but I cannot seem to locate it. The article was written by a managing attorney who discussed the inadequacy of young attorneys/law clerks. One of the stories was about how he initially viewed a young attorney as "curious" and "inquisitive" but that after a few months he realized that the questions did not stop, the attorney did not improve, and he had to fire him. The managing attorney offered the article to others who might be in this particular young attorney's position to choose another path and give up at lawyering.

The thread "I F'ing Suck at Attention to Detail" thread reminded me of the article (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=271900).

I wasn't able to find it, but please post here if you have the url.

It's always struck me as a musing that older lawyers talk about the inadequacy of younger attorneys while doing absolutely nothing to mentor them and treating them like shit when they seek out help.

This isn't true of every older attorney. Don't get me wrong. But there's enough assholes out there like this that it's just amusing to me that they expect perfection from people still learning how to do the job without making any attempt to show them the ropes.

It's like tossing a child into a swimming pool and getting angry when the child doesn't just instinctively know how to swim. :lol:

Lettow

New

Postby Lettow » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:49 am

What a dick thread. It could have been decent had it not indirectly-but-not-really told the OP of that other thread he should give up being an attorney.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Could it have been decent though?

Seems suspect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Agree with lawman84. Our generation believes in variety, much like the partner's :lol:

Seriously, we all have our dumb moments, but a good mentor partner/senior associate will get us on the right track. On the flip side, getting stuck with a crappy partner is enough to make you reconsider your life choices. One of the partners I got stuck with before I fled hated my previous mentor partner (he left, and their shared clients preferred him to the angry partner), so the angry partner took it out on me. That was a couple months ago. I heard that partner now has trouble finding a replacement associate and new clients.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Agree with lawman84. Our generation believes in variety, much like the partner's :lol:

Seriously, we all have our dumb moments, but a good mentor partner/senior associate will get us on the right track. On the flip side, getting stuck with a crappy partner is enough to make you reconsider your life choices. One of the partners I got stuck with before I fled hated my previous mentor partner (he left, and their shared clients preferred him to the angry partner), so the angry partner took it out on me. That was a couple months ago. I heard that partner now has trouble finding a replacement associate and new clients.

Same thing happened to me (new partner hated my old supervisor partner who left, took it out on me), except the new one also decided that the 3+ years I had spent doing my job meant nothing because he hated old partner, so he then proceeded to treat me as though I knew nothing about the law or how the job works. And then assumed I was hopeless and untrainable when I asked him why he did things the (weird, inefficient) way he did them, instead of grovelling at his feet in thanks that he was teaching me the ways of the law. He had similar falling-outs with other people in the office, and everyone who is hired/brought in to replace us mysteriously quits or moves to a satellite within 6-8 months.

Return to “Legal Employment�