Distressed debt trading

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Distressed debt trading

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:24 am

Anybody do this type of work? What am I getting into here?

Effingham

Bronze

Re: Distressed debt trading

Postby Effingham » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Seemed to be huge during the fracking crash, can't imagine it's really a growing practice with the economy performing the way it is, but I really don't know. I would imagine your role would have a lot of overlap with the restructuring people. Good luck, I've always thought this would be a really cool area to be involved in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:22 pm

If your talking about claims trading, it has the reputation of being pretty boring (at least at my firm). But then again so does every other transactional practice.

If you like the ppl, great, but i'd be willing to guess the exit options are not that good

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If your talking about claims trading, it has the reputation of being pretty boring (at least at my firm). But then again so does every other transactional practice.

If you like the ppl, great, but i'd be willing to guess the exit options are not that good

Do these groups work with the restructuring folks? Is it similar work?

ruski

Bronze

Postby ruski » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:59 pm

i heard its pretty lifestyle friendly for whatever that is worth

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:12 pm

umichman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If your talking about claims trading, it has the reputation of being pretty boring (at least at my firm). But then again so does every other transactional practice.

Do these groups work with the restructuring folks? Is it similar work?

Above anon here.

Weirdly enough, yes to the first question and no to the second. Yes, the dudes I know in claims trading are technically in the BK group. But no, it's not similar work. They seem more like an offshoot (think like how some levfin groups are technically within the firm's Banking practice). I honestly don't know much about the work, although whenever i talk to my friends who do it, it seems like a ton of diligence on many small deals at a time. i've been interested in the subject matter, but like i said i don't know much

Return to “Legal Employment�