Any Info on MoFo's East Coast Offices?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Any Info on MoFo's East Coast Offices?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Will be heading to one of NY/DC/Northern Virginia offices. After doing some research, it looks like being at HQ or not can make a big difference as a junior associate. Since MoFo's HQ is in SF, I wonder what kind of impact that has on the firm's east coast offices. I guess my question is how integrated is the firm? Does anyone have some scoop on attorney training/development for those out on the east? Or do they play 'second fiddle' (for lack of a better term) to SF?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Any Info on MoFo's East Coast Offices?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will be heading to one of NY/DC/Northern Virginia offices. After doing some research, it looks like being at HQ or not can make a big difference as a junior associate. Since MoFo's HQ is in SF, I wonder what kind of impact that has on the firm's east coast offices. I guess my question is how integrated is the firm? Does anyone have some scoop on attorney training/development for those out on the east? Or do they play 'second fiddle' (for lack of a better term) to SF?


Can only speak to the corporate side of things, but most trainings seem to be webcast across offices. The east coast offices also have their own work streams/rainmaker partners - they're not just servicing east coast locations of the SF partners' clients. So at least on the corporate side, you'd probably be working mostly with people in your own office, sometimes with support from specialists in another office (e.g., if you're in NOVA, you might be working with a bankruptcy or antitrust person from NYC, a tax lawyer from SF, etc.).

Anonymous User
Posts: 327329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Any Info on MoFo's East Coast Offices?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will be heading to one of NY/DC/Northern Virginia offices. After doing some research, it looks like being at HQ or not can make a big difference as a junior associate. Since MoFo's HQ is in SF, I wonder what kind of impact that has on the firm's east coast offices. I guess my question is how integrated is the firm? Does anyone have some scoop on attorney training/development for those out on the east? Or do they play 'second fiddle' (for lack of a better term) to SF?


Can only speak to the corporate side of things, but most trainings seem to be webcast across offices. The east coast offices also have their own work streams/rainmaker partners - they're not just servicing east coast locations of the SF partners' clients. So at least on the corporate side, you'd probably be working mostly with people in your own office, sometimes with support from specialists in another office (e.g., if you're in NOVA, you might be working with a bankruptcy or antitrust person from NYC, a tax lawyer from SF, etc.).


OP here. Thanks. Not sure if I'm set on corporate or litigation yet, but this is very helpful. In your experience, was there a significant difference in quality of work or exit opps (in-house, gov, other firms, etc.) when compared to SF/PA folks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Any Info on MoFo's East Coast Offices?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will be heading to one of NY/DC/Northern Virginia offices. After doing some research, it looks like being at HQ or not can make a big difference as a junior associate. Since MoFo's HQ is in SF, I wonder what kind of impact that has on the firm's east coast offices. I guess my question is how integrated is the firm? Does anyone have some scoop on attorney training/development for those out on the east? Or do they play 'second fiddle' (for lack of a better term) to SF?


Can only speak to the corporate side of things, but most trainings seem to be webcast across offices. The east coast offices also have their own work streams/rainmaker partners - they're not just servicing east coast locations of the SF partners' clients. So at least on the corporate side, you'd probably be working mostly with people in your own office, sometimes with support from specialists in another office (e.g., if you're in NOVA, you might be working with a bankruptcy or antitrust person from NYC, a tax lawyer from SF, etc.).


OP here. Thanks. Not sure if I'm set on corporate or litigation yet, but this is very helpful. In your experience, was there a significant difference in quality of work or exit opps (in-house, gov, other firms, etc.) when compared to SF/PA folks?


Different kinds of work is probably more accurate. For example, SF's corporate group mostly does M&A for publics. NY does more PE M&A. NOVA, from what I can tell, does mostly EC/VC stuff related to government industries (e.g., defense). All of the offices do some public, PE, and startup, but the ratios are much different. Unfortunately I can't really speak to exit opps (haven't really gotten to know people in the EC offices).



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.