Reapplying to DAs at PILC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reapplying to DAs at PILC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:43 am

I have a question about whether I should/could reapply for a position as an ADA at PILC. I am currently a third-year.

I received rejections from several DAs in New York for a position as an ADA about a month ago. I see that several of the DAs that I interviewed with are interviewing at PILC. Is it worth it to reapply to the DA offices? Is there any downside to doing so? Should I disclose that I was previously rejected in my cover letter?

I want to reapply because I have an updated writing sample and updated work experience, with more prosecution experience on my resume.

Has anyone previously done so and been successful?

Anonymous User

Re: Reapplying to DAs at PILC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:55 am

I can't speak to whether or not it'll help, but it certainly can't hurt. The worst thing that happens is that they continue to say no, which puts you at the same spot you're in now, right?

Whether or not second time's a charm will probably depend on at what point you got rejected/whether that issue's been fixed, though. If you got dinged at the screener/panel, for example, having more criminal prosecution experience may not really help you. If they didn't even bring you in for a screener, it probably will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:41 pm

I was rejected from both of the DAs that I wish to reapply to after the screener. I believe that I was rejected due to a crappy writing sample, but I am not sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:18 am

Do it. Seriously.

You might get a different set of eyes on your package and plus it and expresses interest.

BXDA chief of hiring retired in October so it may be that the new one is still figuring out what to look at.
KCDA is a bit of a mess with no Thompson, and likely will be for a short while so it's good just to keep your name in there.

Further, what's the drawback here?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Should I disclose in my cover letter I previously applied/was rejected?

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I disclose in my cover letter I previously applied/was rejected?

Thank you!

God no.

Why shoot yourself in the foot like that?

How deep in the process were you? Not even a screener?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I disclose in my cover letter I previously applied/was rejected?

Thank you!

God no.

I went through a first-round but never got to the second.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you!

God no.

I went through a first-round but never got to the second.

Yikes, you should do some practice interviews. Really get solid answers to "Why Criminal Law? Why Prosecution? and Why this borough?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I went through a first-round but never got to the second.

Yikes, you should do some practice interviews. Really get solid answers to "Why Criminal Law? Why Prosecution? and Why this borough?"

I wouldn't say "Yikes" just based on that; first round can be a mixed bag depending on the office/who they pick to interview you.

My screener for one office started going south really fast because the interviewer thought the division I'd want to go into if I got into their office was stupid and he didn't like my major undergrad (kept asking me to defend it). He started throwing Evidence hypos at me too, but at that point it was already clear we weren't going to strike up much of a rapport no matter what I did. C'est la vie. Someone upthread has a good point that a different interviewer or set of eyes on the application could be all you need to do better the next time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:29 pm

Agreed with everything above. Although it is already late, I would certainly reapply--assuming you really want it. You could also go to the good side of crim law. Forget them!!

Return to “Legal Employment�