How often are SA offers rescinded?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How often are SA offers rescinded?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:33 am

I've accepted an offer from a midsize firm for next summer. My grades were never spectacular, but I've had a difficult 2L fall semester thus far due to non-lawschool related reasons. As such, I fear that I may only be able to pull out Bs, maybe even a B- (impossible to speculate). The firm did not ask for my transcript during the interview process so it seems they don't care too much about grades.

I was hoping to get some insight from TLS in regards to how often SA offers are revoked, for what reasons, and what could be done about it. Am i worrying for no reason?

Thanks.

Yankees1313

New

Re: How often are SA offers rescinded?

Postby Yankees1313 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:34 am

From what I have gathered on here, never for grades but could be for performance, etc.

squishylawstudent321

New

Postby squishylawstudent321 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Mid-size firms aren't really in a position to be choosy about a silly thing like grades. They shouldn't give you any trouble about them.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Your "SA" offer itself will surely not be rescinded. I don't know of any firm that would even ask for your 2L grades before you started the summer. I only was asked for my entire 2L grades after my summer ended.

Whether grades affect your eventual post-grad offer post summer gig depends.

In the vast majority of firms, your 2L grades will not matter that much. As long as you work hard during your summer and aren't a weirdo, you'll be get the offer.

If you do somehow screw up a lot of things, a firm might use bad grades to help justify a no offer, but rarely are bad grades used as the sole basis.

*Unless you actually fail out, which obviously, would be bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:50 am

How can you tell a firms summer associate offer rate? I look on nalp and it says 70/70 but does that mean everyone got offered?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:How can you tell a firms summer associate offer rate? I look on nalp and it says 70/70 but does that mean everyone got offered?

Very good math.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:49 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How can you tell a firms summer associate offer rate? I look on nalp and it says 70/70 but does that mean everyone got offered?

Very good math.

Or does it mean 70 got offered and 70 didn't get offered?!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:15 pm

favabeansoup wrote: I don't know of any firm that would even ask for your 2L grades before you started the summer. I only was asked for my entire 2L grades after my summer ended.

Some firms ask for a transcript in January. Most likely to make sure you're still enrolled. But I agree with the rest -- grades are not going to be the sole reason for a no offer.

Return to “Legal Employment�