Lateral Interviews - How Long For Callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Interviews - How Long For Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:38 pm

Had a big law lateral interview almost three weeks ago. Radio silence since. I really want this one, and am fighting the urge to send an annoying "any updates?" email to the recruiting coordinator.

Does anyone have experience on how long things usually take? Is it a bad sign that I haven't heard back after 3 weeks? Any advice on whether to send a follow up email, who to send it to, or what to say?

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Interviews - How Long For Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a big law lateral interview almost three weeks ago. Radio silence since. I really want this one, and am fighting the urge to send an annoying "any updates?" email to the recruiting coordinator.

Does anyone have experience on how long things usually take? Is it a bad sign that I haven't heard back after 3 weeks? Any advice on whether to send a follow up email, who to send it to, or what to say?

It depends. If you're working through a headhunter, I'd be surprised that they haven't followed up. If you're not working with a headhunter, I would consider sending something checking in.

Callback invitations can be extended as quickly as the same day, or take weeks. When you haven't heard anything, I'd say it likely means someone else is ahead of you in the queue/that they're interviewing other candidates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Not sure if it changes things, but my interview was sort of a callback format - met with 7 attorneys, including who I think are the relevant partners. It wasn't preceded by a screener, but I would think the next step is an offer (or not), probably not another interview.

Does this change the expectations around timing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if it changes things, but my interview was sort of a callback format - met with 7 attorneys, including who I think are the relevant partners. It wasn't preceded by a screener, but I would think the next step is an offer (or not), probably not another interview.

Does this change the expectations around timing?

No. You should have heard by now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:39 pm

Our office recently posted a lateral position and we had 300 applicants. Of those 300 it took our snail partners one month to get back to 15 people to interview. After interviewing a few people we got slammed so didn't interview anyone for 2 weeks, and then took an additional 2 weeks. We have not yet scheduled a second round of interviews for the final candidates. This is all just to hire 1 person.

I would follow-up 100% to display your interest, but do give it time.

(but this is a small office, I don't know how biglaw works).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Had 3 lateral screeners in the past 2 months. All biglaw big offices.
2 of 3 were in person with 2 partners.
1 of 3 was via phone with 1 partner.
Radio silence after first 2 screeners. Followed up on one, turned out they had another lateral recently accepted their offer.
For the 3rd interview (in person with 2 partners), got call back notice email the following week.

Return to “Legal Employment�