Do firms match clerkship bonus offers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms match clerkship bonus offers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Is there any wiggle room to negotiate clerkship bonuses in biglaw? For example, would a peer firm of Quinn consider matching the 75K clerkship bonus that Quinn offers? Obviously this differ firm by firm, but I'm just wondering if its worth even asking.

Anonymous User

Re: Do firms match clerkship bonus offers?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:27 pm

I've heard of a firm matching.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:11 am

Interesting. As in a firm matched Quinn's 75K?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting. As in a firm matched Quinn's 75K?

I find it hard to believe you could summer at some v20 (Firm A), clerk for a year, apply to QE and get a post-clerkship offer, take it back to Firm A and say give me $25k more, and firm A would just pay it as a matter of course. Everyone would do that and firms would have already wised up and moved the market rate.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interesting. As in a firm matched Quinn's 75K?

I find it hard to believe you could summer at some v20 (Firm A), clerk for a year, apply to QE and get a post-clerkship offer, take it back to Firm A and say give me $25k more, and firm A would just pay it as a matter of course. Everyone would do that and firms would have already wised up and moved the market rate.

this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Slightly different scenario. I worked for two years, then clerked for two. I was able to get V20 firms who initially only offered $50K to match $70k as well as two boutiques.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slightly different scenario. I worked for two years, then clerked for two. I was able to get V20 firms who initially only offered $50K to match $70k as well as two boutiques.

I'm the original person who said he'd heard of matching. It was something along these lines. The point is, if you take an offer back to a firm they might match, or they might not. But it's not an insane thing to ask them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly different scenario. I worked for two years, then clerked for two. I was able to get V20 firms who initially only offered $50K to match $70k as well as two boutiques.

I'm the original person who said he'd heard of matching. It was something along these lines. The point is, if you take an offer back to a firm they might match, or they might not. But it's not an insane thing to ask them.

Any update on this now that we are later in the cycle?

Seen some letters come to chambers with some pretty high bonus numbers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The only letter we've gotten so far with high bonus numbers is from Kellogg. And the usual talk about them tends to omit the part where you don't get end of year bonus until your second full year with the firm...

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any wiggle room to negotiate clerkship bonuses in biglaw? For example, would a peer firm of Quinn consider matching the 75K clerkship bonus that Quinn offers? Obviously this differ firm by firm, but I'm just wondering if its worth even asking.

Clerkship bonus and class-year credit are often negotiable. It certainly doesn't hurt to try.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Random question, but does anyone know Hueston Hennigan's clerkship bonus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Random question, but does anyone know Hueston Hennigan's clerkship bonus?

I think it's $10k

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The only letter we've gotten so far with high bonus numbers is from Kellogg. And the usual talk about them tends to omit the part where you don't get end of year bonus until your second full year with the firm...

This is incorrect- the letters clearly state you get a partial bonus after your first full year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Random question, but does anyone know Hueston Hennigan's clerkship bonus?

I think it's $10k

No. It's $50K.

Return to “Legal Employment�