Advice On Going Back On An Accepted Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice On Going Back On An Accepted Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Hello TLS friends,

I am in an unpleasant situation that is causing me a bit of stress in finals week. I accepted an offer to work for half of the summer at a small firm in a small city outside of my home state a few days ago. Today, I received an offer from a law firm that is in my home state in a major market and the firm doesn't do splits; they only allow summer associates for the entire summer.

Is it out of the question to call the out of state firm tomorrow and give them the bad news about reneging? I am talking to career services tomorrow morning, but would appreciate any other advice.

This is stressing me out and could use a kick in the butt and/or advice as to how to go about this.

Thanks in advance.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Advice On Going Back On An Accepted Offer

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Take the home state offer and don't look back. Tell firm that you got a full summer offer In your home / desired location. Don't even bother talking to career services. They don't have your interests in mind - they care more about a firm getting pissed about someone reneging.

That said, I don't think the firm will bat an eye in this scenario.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:19 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Take the home state offer and don't look back. Tell firm that you got a full summer offer In your home / desired location. Don't even bother talking to career services. They don't have your interests in mind - they care more about a firm getting pissed about someone reneging.

OP Here. Okay. I like the sound of this, but is there a possibility of getting reported to the bar? I have heard of this and it is worrying me.

Thanks.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Take the home state offer and don't look back. Tell firm that you got a full summer offer In your home / desired location. Don't even bother talking to career services. They don't have your interests in mind - they care more about a firm getting pissed about someone reneging.

OP Here. Okay. I like the sound of this, but is there a possibility of getting reported to the bar? I have heard of this and it is worrying me.

Thanks.

No. Good luck.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:26 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks.

No. Good luck.

Okay. Thanks. May I ask why you are so sure? I just want to be cautious before I pull the trigger on this.

Also, is it wise to talk to career services tomorrow (I already scheduled an appointment) to let them know that I intend to renege on this offer? I have just read other threads where other TLSers have vehemently attacked the idea of reneging on a summer offer.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34 pm

Because reneging on an offer of employment isn't unethical so the bar doesn't give a fuck.

Talk to your CSO if you want, but why bother? Remember they are going to have their interests at heart (they'd rather have you employed in a job you hate than risk you not having a job at all because they care about their numbers).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:40 pm

bk1 wrote:Because reneging on an offer of employment isn't unethical so the bar doesn't give a fuck.

Talk to your CSO if you want, but why bother? Remember they are going to have their interests at heart (they'd rather have you employed in a job you hate than risk you not having a job at all because they care about their numbers).

Okay. That makes sense. But why would career services be worried about me not having a job? I would just have a tighter grip on one that I prefer to another.

jrf12886

Bronze

Postby jrf12886 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:Because reneging on an offer of employment isn't unethical so the bar doesn't give a fuck.

Okay. That makes sense. But why would career services be worried about me not having a job? I would just have a tighter grip on one that I prefer to another.

OCS is concerned with one thing: ensuring the highest % of the graduating class is employed in the law post-graduation. They don't really care (as) much whether you are in the best job for you. They also do not want students to potentially burn bridges with firms such that it could hurt future applicant's chances from your school. That is why OCS is likely to discourage you from reneging even though it may well be in your best interest to do so. Bottom line, you have to look out for your own interests and take the job that is best for your career path. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:49 am

OCS will lie and tell you this will ruin your entire career because they are more concerned with the school's standing with a firm than you. OCS is also never going to advise students to not keep their commitments which would be really bad advice.

With all that said, as a fifth year associate I personally know at least fifteen independent stories of people reneging on various offers at various times. I have not heard one story of a firm not being gracious. Read this website, there are a million people who would stab someone to take your spot if the position once again becomes available. Just renege, nobody cares and it is common practice in the industry.

jarofsoup

Gold

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 am

Renege the offer don't look back. The firm could always rescind its offer.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Postby lawhopeful100 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:18 am

Reneged on my summer offer as a 2L to go somewhere else and two years later I'm glad I did. My career services guy was actually pretty honest and said most people here would say not to reneg but if you think it's a better opportunity go for it. Reneg and don't think twice.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:53 pm

To add: the firms renege on YOU at the rapid rate the nano second it serves their interests... and the impact on the law student when a firm reneges is 10000x than on a firm when the student reneges.

Firms have destroyed kids. Heck there were 2 people on this very board just a few months ago talking about firms withdrawing offers on 3Ls!

Do what is best for you and don't look back. It will not negatively impact you.

And the office of career services are serving their own interests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Thank you all for the valuable input. It is much appreciated. I pulled the trigger today and made the phone call to renege on the offer. It was a painful phone call, but I am sure worth it in the long run.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you all for the valuable input. It is much appreciated. I pulled the trigger today and made the phone call to renege on the offer. It was a painful phone call, but I am sure worth it in the long run.

oh wow, phone call. i totally just e-mailed when i did mine.

you are a better person than i.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:10 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thank you all for the valuable input. It is much appreciated. I pulled the trigger today and made the phone call to renege on the offer. It was a painful phone call, but I am sure worth it in the long run.

oh wow, phone call. i totally just e-mailed when i did mine.

you are a better person than i.

Firms renege using emails and letters all the time.

Turnabout is fair play

Return to “Legal Employment�