1L SA Callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:31 pm

T14 1L. Applied to big texas firms on 12/1. I was asked to come to the office for a callback interview later this month at one of the top Texas firms. My question is how much do grades matter at this point if they already extended the callback interview to me?

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: 1L SA Callback

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:40 pm

They matter. I don't think it's like 2L OCI where a CB (generally) means you've already cleared the grades hurdle.

For a data point: I know someone who interviewed around the same time for a 1L SA last year. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks, sent the firm his/her fall grades (which were stellar), offer next day.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 pm

And on the flip side, I know people who got SAs before grades. It all depends.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Since you're anon, could you post the firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 pm

different anon here but I received a screener request from Baker Botts today

candidlatke

Bronze

Postby candidlatke » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:51 pm

congrats dude, anyone hear back from other markets early?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:22 am

Also got Baker Botts interview.

I'm OOS at UT. Does anyone know if it matters if I can't make it to Dallas in person? I'll get a flight after finals if it would hurt my chances to do it via Skype instead, but otherwise it's more convenient to do the Skype interview.

Also, anybody have any insight as to what kind of grades would be needed for Baker Botts? This is making me even more anxious about finals...eek

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Postby Roy McAvoy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also got Baker Botts interview.

I'm OOS at UT. Does anyone know if it matters if I can't make it to Dallas in person? I'll get a flight after finals if it would hurt my chances to do it via Skype instead, but otherwise it's more convenient to do the Skype interview.

Also, anybody have any insight as to what kind of grades would be needed for Baker Botts? This is making me even more anxious about finals...eek

Very good normally (think 2L OCI) but I don't know how this changes for 1L callback before you have grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Different anon, have gotten Baker Botts, King & Spalding, and Jackson Walker. Any idea on callback to offer ratio for Texas 1L SAs?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Different anon, have gotten Baker Botts, King & Spalding, and Jackson Walker. Any idea on callback to offer ratio for Texas 1L SAs?

No idea, but my advice is to 1) focus on your finals and 2) do a practice interview or two. You are playing with house money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:01 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:And on the flip side, I know people who got SAs before grades. It all depends.

This is usually at T6 schools where diversity is sufficient or the firm is not grade-selective at the school in 2L recruiting anyway.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:And on the flip side, I know people who got SAs before grades. It all depends.

This is usually at T6 schools where diversity is sufficient or the firm is not grade-selective at the school in 2L recruiting anyway.

True story

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Lots of DC rejections but no positive movement

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:44 pm

rejection from Orrick

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

True, although I noticed that very strong pre law school work experience was also a big factor, with investment banking having the most weight. According to my T6 career office, K-JDs like myself were unfortunately more out of luck at this stage of the process. Once grades come back, though, I would strongly encourage K-JDs to apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

True, although I noticed that very strong pre law school work experience was also a big factor, with investment banking having the most weight. According to my T6 career office, K-JDs like myself were unfortunately more out of luck at this stage of the process. Once grades come back, though, I would strongly encourage K-JDs to apply.

Anecdotal, but from what I hear this is also true of IP types with strong engineering/technical creds. Apparently they care more about your technical background than how much you know about Torts and Property. Still probably varies some.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

True story

I'm at Berkeley and last year the people with hard science/eng/computer science backgrounds absolutely cleaned up for IP SA positions. Before grades came out. Same with the URMs (although less so--some had to wait for grades, some did not).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:27 pm

I'm an IP applicant from MVPB, haven't received anything from DC firms yet, FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

True story

I'm at Berkeley and last year the people with hard science/eng/computer science backgrounds absolutely cleaned up for IP SA positions. Before grades came out. Same with the URMs (although less so--some had to wait for grades, some did not).

Funny thing is I don't qualify as any of these things lol. I'm a K-JD. Kind of wondering why on Earth I got selected for such an early interview (I'm certainly happy about it though!)

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Funny thing is I don't qualify as any of these things lol. I'm a K-JD. Kind of wondering why on Earth I got selected for such an early interview (I'm certainly happy about it though!)

One of my friends got it, I'm pretty sure, b/c he listed Golf as one of his favorite hobbies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:33 am

For T6/T14 1Ls with weak ties, Texas can be downright treacherous. Almost all the "serious" firms will want to see your grades before they extend an offer. And almost all of them will want to see "good" grades. But if your grades are "too" good--again, assuming weak ties from a T6 or a T14--many/most of them will assume you're a flight risk and operate accordingly.

Given how few 1L SAs will ultimately return as full-time associates, these firms tend to view "outsiders" with tremendous skepticism. Perhaps rightly so, but it's a characteristic not much in evidence in other major markets. Nobody will seriously doubt that you want to be in NY/DC/SF/LA, but everyone I met in both Dallas and Houston seemed to assume I was lying when I expressed long-term interest in TX.

To be fair, I was.

Source: Former 1L SA at BB/VE. Ultimately chose to spend 2L summer and begin my career in another above-mentioned major market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Just got snail mail ding from Willkie DC saying they aren't hiring 1Ls

Return to “Legal Employment�