How to Break Into Niche Area of Law (Military/Defense Procurement)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to Break Into Niche Area of Law (Military/Defense Procurement)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 am

I apologize for anon. I don't think there are too many people at my school interested in this type of the law. I'm currently a 2L at T-14 and will be heading to a firm that does Corporate/M&A work and also has a strong Government Contracts group. Those two are my top two preferences for now. Although I've never served in the military, I've always been fascinated by our national defense, military, weapons, etc. So, I'm trying to set myself to work in legal specialties that deal with military/defense procurement or transactions. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any input.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: How to Break Into Niche Area of Law (Military/Defense Procurement)

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:37 am

I did some government contracts stuff over the summer at a DC BigLaw firm, and some of it was for defense contractors. I imagine any government contracts practice group, particularly in the DC area, will do a fair amount of DOD procurement work. But I don't really know how you'd specialize beyond that.

I don't think it's necessary to do military procurement work, but have you considered spending some time in the military yourself? If you really want to build a career in that world, it does give you a certain instant rapport with a lot of people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:29 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I did some government contracts stuff over the summer at a DC BigLaw firm, and some of it was for defense contractors. I imagine any government contracts practice group, particularly in the DC area, will do a fair amount of DOD procurement work. But I don't really know how you'd specialize beyond that.

I don't think it's necessary to do military procurement work, but have you considered spending some time in the military yourself? If you really want to build a career in that world, it does give you a certain instant rapport with a lot of people.

Thanks for the input! Do you mind if I PM you?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:37 am

Sure, but I'm a 3L so I don't really know much more than you do.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:41 am

You can try to get hired by a contractor in-house (very hard) or by the DoD (also very hard).

Yukos

Gold

Postby Yukos » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:23 pm

I don't know enough about it to give you more than just a vague suggestion, but I know you can do JAG as a reserve officer (i.e. on the weekends and for certain short training periods). People think A Few Good Men when they think about JAG but you can also do contracts work.

The point being, you could maybe supplement your practice with that kind of thing and then move into more permanently in a bit.

EDIT: I didn't realize you're still in law school. You could just apply for JAG for your post-grad job if you want that kind of thing.
Last edited by Yukos on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:26 pm

zot1 wrote:You can try to get hired by a contractor in-house (very hard) or by the DoD (also very hard).

OP here. Going straight from law school to DoD seems like a long-shot. I heard their Honors program is very, very competitive. As far as the contractor in-house positions go, do most people take the typical route (i.e. do a stint with corporate work at a firm, then apply)? I've never seen someone go straight to a defense contractor.

Thanks!

First Offense

Platinum

Postby First Offense » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Gov Ks at a DC firm is probably your best bet. What are the big firms with that? They probably have Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop, etc. as clients I'd imagine.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:You can try to get hired by a contractor in-house (very hard) or by the DoD (also very hard).

OP here. Going straight from law school to DoD seems like a long-shot. I heard their Honors program is very, very competitive. As far as the contractor in-house positions go, do most people take the typical route (i.e. do a stint with corporate work at a firm, then apply)? I've never seen someone go straight to a defense contractor.

Thanks!

I meant after you work for a few years.

No, you wouldn't go straight through. Government contracts are very complex. A junior attorney would never really be trusted with that kind of work.

To be fair, most contractor counsels I know went from government/military to that position. To be honest, it seems like a nice gig to me. If I don't ever get into sports (not saying I'm gunning for this now or in the future), I might consider chasing one of those gigs--especially if I get discounts on javelins, tanks, and the like.

Return to “Legal Employment�