Upon graduation, inhouse at a global company vs. law clerk for a year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Upon graduation, inhouse at a global company vs. law clerk for a year?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 pm

Which would be better between inhouse counsel at a global(ish) company and law clerk at a mid-sized law firm for a year in terms of a post-graduation job?

I am looking to get a job at a law firm eventually, corporate transactional practice but eventually (within 3 years) want to get a COO position at a tech/emerging company. I have prior relevant WE, in addition to a JD.

EDIT: How about the same inhouse vs. an associate at a small/mid-sized law firm (less than 30 attorneys)for a year? Which one would be better?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Re: Upon graduation, inhouse at a global company vs. law clerk for a year?

Postby zot1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:07 pm

In-house.

sawyercb

New

Postby sawyercb » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:13 pm

I think depends on the company & how sophisticated the work is. If I were looking at a resume from an in house lateral transnational candidate, I would want to make sure they had experience doing sophisticated legal work. I have heard that some in house attorneys end up doing more non-sophisticated work on a day to day basis and send the more sophisticated (expensive) work to the company's corporate counsel law firm. (Note - I do not have experience in house...can't say this is the same everywhere and for every attorney, but have spoken with attorneys who have been in house and can confirm what I described above.)

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Postby iliketurtles123 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Depends on the practice area of the firm and what your responsibilities as a law clerk are

Also depends on what company, and what your role would be

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Why would you be a law clerk at a firm after graduation and not be an actual attorney?

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Why would you be a law clerk at a firm after graduation and not be an actual attorney?

Probably will need to pass the bar first.

Return to “Legal Employment�